Old 01-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Ian Kent

Default Proceedure for package private branches for testing

Hi all,

Sometimes when trying to solve a problem I need to add a patch to a
package, say kernel, and do a build (probably a scratch build) to test
and possibly have the reporter use it for testing as well.

So can someone tell me what the proper procedure is for creating a
private branch for a package in Fedora?

Ian

Old 01-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Till Maas

On Sun January 6 2008, Ian Kent wrote:

> Sometimes when trying to solve a problem I need to add a patch to a
> package, say kernel, and do a build (probably a scratch build) to test
> and possibly have the reporter use it for testing as well.
>
> So can someone tell me what the proper procedure is for creating a
> private branch for a package in Fedora?

The easiest way I know, is to check out the branch you want to modify in a
separate directory, patch, run "make srpm" and make a scratch build
with "koji build --scratch dist-f9 *.src.rpm".

For patching I begin to use
- make prep
- then go into the source directory
- run a cp -a file $file.$description on files I want to patch
- then edit $file
- run make patch SUFFIX=$description (or maybe mae patch SUFFIX=.$description)
- add the patch to the spec with %patchXX -b .$description

When the patch needs to adjusted, after running "make prep", there is already
a $file.$description, and $file is patched, and a "make rediff
SUFFIX=$description" keeps the comments before the first diff in the patch
file.

Regards,
Till

Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Ian Kent

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 13:09 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Sun January 6 2008, Ian Kent wrote:
>
> > Sometimes when trying to solve a problem I need to add a patch to a
> > package, say kernel, and do a build (probably a scratch build) to test
> > and possibly have the reporter use it for testing as well.
> >
> > So can someone tell me what the proper procedure is for creating a
> > private branch for a package in Fedora?
>
> The easiest way I know, is to check out the branch you want to modify in a
> separate directory, patch, run "make srpm" and make a scratch build
> with "koji build --scratch dist-f9 *.src.rpm".

Yes, I got this advice on IRC and managed to get a build.

It's really cumbersome though.

Is it a problem to allow commits for specific named branches like
private-.....-branch and ignore them for composition purposes?

> For patching I begin to use
> - make prep
> - then go into the source directory
> - run a cp -a file $file.$description on files I want to patch
> - then edit $file
> - run make patch SUFFIX=$description (or maybe mae patch SUFFIX=.$description)
> - add the patch to the spec with %patchXX -b .$description

Thanks for the advice.
I'm fine with the patching thing but I haven't used "make patch" before
(or make rediff for that matter), interesting.

Ian

Old 01-06-2008, 01:42 PM
David Woodhouse

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 21:19 +0900, Ian Kent wrote:
> Yes, I got this advice on IRC and managed to get a build.

You seemed to say something really bizarre on IRC -- that local builds
of the kernel rarely worked. Can you elucidate?

--
dwmw2

Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Ian Kent

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 14:42 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 21:19 +0900, Ian Kent wrote:
> > Yes, I got this advice on IRC and managed to get a build.
>
> You seemed to say something really bizarre on IRC -- that local builds
> of the kernel rarely worked. Can you elucidate?

I find that for some reason or another source rpm kernel builds fail for
me a lot on my local machine.

The last couple of times I've tried I've been getting an error about
debugedit -b option and incorrect argument lengths. I tried to work out
what the problem was last time I got it without success. Anyway, over
the years, I've ended up with the feeling that kernel builds from
standard Fedora source packages often don't work for me. But that may be
a little hash as I always seem to have a problem when I can least afford
it.

Ian