Old 01-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Matthew Miller

Default I'm mellllttttttinggg!!! (kernel 2.6.24-0.133.rc6.git8.fc9)

So, I came back from vacation and updated my rawhide machine to the latest.
Firefox 3 is all broke for me (haven't diagnosed that yet) and not having a
Firefox 2 package handy that doesn't conflict with xulrunner, I decided to
build one. Core temp quickly went to 125C+ and the computer powered
itself off to avoid starting any fires.

This doesn't seem to happen with kernel-2.6.24-0.83.rc5.fc9, which I had
installed before the break. Oh, it gets hot, but more like 95C. Processor
is an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ but I'm running in 32-bit mode.

Anyone else seeing this?

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Old 01-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Andrew Haley

Matthew Miller writes:
> So, I came back from vacation and updated my rawhide machine to the latest.
> Firefox 3 is all broke for me (haven't diagnosed that yet) and not having a
> Firefox 2 package handy that doesn't conflict with xulrunner, I decided to
> build one. Core temp quickly went to 125C+ and the computer powered
> itself off to avoid starting any fires.
>
> This doesn't seem to happen with kernel-2.6.24-0.83.rc5.fc9, which I had
> installed before the break. Oh, it gets hot, but more like 95C. Processor
> is an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ but I'm running in 32-bit mode.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

This is a hardware problem! Even running all cores 100%, you should
have sufficient cooling to prevent this from happening. Don't blame
the software.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903

Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Steve Grubb

On Saturday 05 January 2008 08:46:27 Matthew Miller wrote:
> This doesn't seem to happen with kernel-2.6.24-0.83.rc5.fc9, which I had
> installed before the break. Oh, it gets hot, but more like 95C. Processor
> is an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ but I'm running in 32-bit mode.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

I have a Phenom processor and it reads 40C no matter what. When I had a
Brisbane processor in the same mb, it was correct. Rebooting and going into
the BIOS shows the correct temperature. But

# cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature

is dead wrong. Not quite the same problem, but if its not able to get the
temperature right, it may not be doing other power/thermal policy things
right.

-Steve

Old 01-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Matthew Miller

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:50:56PM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> This is a hardware problem! Even running all cores 100%, you should
> have sufficient cooling to prevent this from happening. Don't blame
> the software.

Oh, I'm sure it is. However, it doesn't get as hot with the kernel build
from a month ago, which seemed worth mentioning.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Richi Plana

On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 13:50 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> This is a hardware problem! Even running all cores 100%, you should
> have sufficient cooling to prevent this from happening. Don't blame
> the software.

I wouldn't always assume that hardware is always protected from damage
due to faulty software. There have been a lot of cases in the past where
programming inadvertently damaged hardware: the recent Load_Cycle_Count
kerfuffle with harddisk drives, burning-out CRT monitors with faulty
Modelines, overheating laptops with covers closed and monitor and CPU
not going low, etc. The fact that there was a difference indicates, at
the least, seemingly more power-consumption for the same amount of work
with just a different kernel. Certainly worth investigating.
--

Richi Plana

Old 01-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le samedi 05 janvier 2008 08:46 -0500, Matthew Miller a crit :
> So, I came back from vacation and updated my rawhide machine to the latest.

> Core temp quickly went to 125C+ and the computer powered
> itself off to avoid starting any fires.
>
> This doesn't seem to happen with kernel-2.6.24-0.83.rc5.fc9, which I had
> installed before the break. Oh, it gets hot, but more like 95C.

Either way that's too high (my X2 rarely goes over 50C). Check your
heatsinks, vacations have high hardware death probabilities, since the
hardware is not stressed the same as the rest of the year.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Alan Cox

On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 08:13:12AM -0700, Richi Plana wrote:
> Modelines, overheating laptops with covers closed and monitor and CPU
> not going low, etc. The fact that there was a difference indicates, at
> the least, seemingly more power-consumption for the same amount of work
> with just a different kernel. Certainly worth investigating.

PC systems today are usually designed with system managed fans and a hardware
cut out at the point things go 'critical'. So it is in fact possible that
a kernel change caused a problem which then shut the machine down as it hit
the hardware thermal limit. Unlikely but possible.

Running old and new kernels will verify that after checking the fans etc
are in fact working properly. If this is the case it would be very nice to
know ASAP and also to let Len Brown <lenb@kernel.org> know that you have a
case where a box overheats with one kernel and not another

Old 01-05-2008, 11:48 PM
Hans de Goede

Matthew Miller wrote:

So, I came back from vacation and updated my rawhide machine to the latest.
Firefox 3 is all broke for me (haven't diagnosed that yet) and not having a
Firefox 2 package handy that doesn't conflict with xulrunner, I decided to
build one. Core temp quickly went to 125C+ and the computer powered
itself off to avoid starting any fires.

This doesn't seem to happen with kernel-2.6.24-0.83.rc5.fc9, which I had
installed before the break. Oh, it gets hot, but more like 95C. Processor
is an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ but I'm running in 32-bit mode.

Anyone else seeing this?

Do you have lm_sensors configured? Perhaps a driver bug is causing your CPU fan
to be stopped / to slow. Try configuring lm_sensors and take a look at your CPU
fan speed with both the cool and the hot kernel.

Regards,

Hans

Old 01-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Martin Marques

Matthew Miller escribi:

So, I came back from vacation and updated my rawhide machine to the latest.
Firefox 3 is all broke for me (haven't diagnosed that yet) and not having a
Firefox 2 package handy that doesn't conflict with xulrunner, I decided to
build one. Core temp quickly went to 125C+ and the computer powered
itself off to avoid starting any fires.

This doesn't seem to happen with kernel-2.6.24-0.83.rc5.fc9, which I had
installed before the break. Oh, it gets hot, but more like 95C. Processor
is an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ but I'm running in 32-bit mode.

Saame kernel, but with a turion 64 chip, running the x86_64 kernel and I
get 50C or 53C.

95C is the max temperture of this core.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:47 PM
"Trond Danielsen"

2008/1/5, Steve Grubb <sgrubb@redhat.com>:
> On Saturday 05 January 2008 08:46:27 Matthew Miller wrote:
> > This doesn't seem to happen with kernel-2.6.24-0.83.rc5.fc9, which I had
> > installed before the break. Oh, it gets hot, but more like 95C. Processor
> > is an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ but I'm running in 32-bit mode.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this?
>
> I have a Phenom processor and it reads 40C no matter what. When I had a
> Brisbane processor in the same mb, it was correct. Rebooting and going into
> the BIOS shows the correct temperature. But
>
> # cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature
>
> is dead wrong. Not quite the same problem, but if its not able to get the
> temperature right, it may not be doing other power/thermal policy things
> right.

I see the same thing on my computer (which has an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
Dual Core Processor 3800+), but lm_sensors reports the correct
temperature.

--
Trond Danielsen