-   -   Is anyone packaging sage? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/29115-anyone-packaging-sage.html)

Peter Boy 01-04-2008 10:39 PM

Is anyone packaging sage?

Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 13:06 -0900 schrieb Jeff Spaleta:
> On Jan 4, 2008 1:01 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage/
>
> holy crap.... that looks pretty awesome.

Just for information: what is specifically crap according to your
perspective (I'm looking for open source scientific software and it's a
serious question)?

Josh Boyer 01-04-2008 10:49 PM

Is anyone packaging sage?

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 23:39:33 +0000
Peter Boy <pboy@barkhof.uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 13:06 -0900 schrieb Jeff Spaleta:
> > On Jan 4, 2008 1:01 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage/
> >
> > holy crap.... that looks pretty awesome.
>
> Just for information: what is specifically crap according to your
> perspective (I'm looking for open source scientific software and it's a
> serious question)?

Holy crap is slang. It's akin to "Oh wow", or "Holy cow", or "Gee
Wiz". Jeff wasn't saying the software was crappy. He was expressing
excitement.

josh

Michael Thomas 01-04-2008 10:51 PM

Is anyone packaging sage?

Neal Becker wrote:

http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage/

Note that the name 'sage' conflicts with another package that already
lives in Fedora:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/sage

--Wart

"Jeff Spaleta" 01-04-2008 10:54 PM

Is anyone packaging sage?

On Jan 4, 2008 2:49 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Holy crap is slang. It's akin to "Oh wow", or "Holy cow", or "Gee
> Wiz". Jeff wasn't saying the software was crappy. He was expressing
> excitement.

I'm so excited by this, that I'm contacting all the physics and math
educators that I personally know and getting them to take a look at
this.
An open source... competitor to Maple or Mathematica with a a web
browser interface is a huge huge thing. It doesn't have to be feature
complete compared to the competition.. it just has to be good enough
to get it in the door at schools and easy enough for teachers and
studdents to use. I really want to put a few demonstrations setups of
sage together as quickly as i can and have educators and students beat
on it. This is a non-trivial thing.

-jef

seth vidal 01-04-2008 10:57 PM

Is anyone packaging sage?

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 15:51 -0800, Michael Thomas wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:
> > http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage/
>
> Note that the name 'sage' conflicts with another package that already
> lives in Fedora:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/sage

then calling it sagemath solves that, right?

-sv

Michael Thomas 01-04-2008 11:23 PM

Is anyone packaging sage?

seth vidal wrote:

Note that the name 'sage' conflicts with another package that already
lives in Fedora:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/sage

then calling it sagemath solves that, right?

Sure does. I just wanted to bring up the issue now before it causes
problems later.

--Wart

Neal Becker 01-04-2008 11:50 PM

Is anyone packaging sage?

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2008 1:01 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage/
>
> holy crap.... that looks pretty awesome.
>
> I can't be primary maintainer for this, but if you are going to work
> on it I can help.
>
> -jef

I'm happy to hear that others are interested in this too. Here is a link
that I think will be helpful:

http://wiki.sagemath.org/DebianSAGE

I have just been discussing this with one of the Debian sage developers.
There are several sage-related groups available through gmane (I think they
are mirrors of google groups)

Peter Boy 01-05-2008 12:25 AM

Is anyone packaging sage?

Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 14:54 -0900 schrieb Jeff Spaleta:
> I'm so excited by this, that I'm contacting all the physics and math
> educators that I personally know and getting them to take a look at
> this.
> An open source... competitor to Maple or Mathematica with a a web
> browser interface is a huge huge thing. It doesn't have to be feature
> complete compared to the competition.. it just has to be good enough
> to get it in the door at schools and easy enough for teachers and
> studdents to use. I really want to put a few demonstrations setups of
> sage together as quickly as i can and have educators and students beat
> on it. This is a non-trivial thing.

Oh, thanks for responding. I'm a statistican in social science research
and try to promote free software in my lessons and my own reseach (and
didn't know about sage before). Therefore I'm very interested when you
finished preparation of some demonstrations!

Peter

Peter Boy 01-05-2008 12:26 AM

Is anyone packaging sage?

Am Freitag, den 04.01.2008, 17:49 -0600 schrieb Josh Boyer:
> Holy crap is slang. It's akin to "Oh wow", or "Holy cow", or "Gee
> Wiz". Jeff wasn't saying the software was crappy. He was expressing
> excitement.

Oh, what a misunderstanding. I'll work to improve my English language
skills :-)

Peter

"Jeff Spaleta" 01-05-2008 12:39 AM

Is anyone packaging sage?

On Jan 4, 2008 4:25 PM, Peter Boy <pboy@barkhof.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> Oh, thanks for responding. I'm a statistican in social science research
> and try to promote free software in my lessons and my own reseach (and
> didn't know about sage before). Therefore I'm very interested when you
> finished preparation of some demonstrations!

The main sage project website has a link to a demo "Notebook" that you
can register with and create worksheets.

-jef