-   -   libnl update to 1.0-pre8 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/28794-libnl-update-1-0-pre8.html)

Dan Williams 01-04-2008 04:05 PM

libnl update to 1.0-pre8

Hi,

For various reasons (kernel 2.6.24 compatibility, memory leaks,
knetworkmanager wants it, etc) I'm going to push libnl 1.0-pre8 to F-8.
It's unfortunately got some API/ABI changes the require rebuilds and
possibly source patches for packages that link to it. I'm just starting
the process of rebuilding the stuff that I own, and the only other user
that I could identify via repoquery was dhcp/libdhcp, for which I've
coordinated with dcantrell on. Just a heads-up; I don't think anyone
besides NetworkManager and libdhcp are affected though.

Dan

Dennis Gilmore 01-04-2008 04:15 PM

libnl update to 1.0-pre8

On Friday 04 January 2008 11:05:03 am Dan Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For various reasons (kernel 2.6.24 compatibility, memory leaks,
> knetworkmanager wants it, etc) I'm going to push libnl 1.0-pre8 to F-8.
> It's unfortunately got some API/ABI changes the require rebuilds and
> possibly source patches for packages that link to it. I'm just starting
> the process of rebuilding the stuff that I own, and the only other user
> that I could identify via repoquery was dhcp/libdhcp, for which I've
> coordinated with dcantrell on. Just a heads-up; I don't think anyone
> besides NetworkManager and libdhcp are affected though.
>
> Dan

Dan,

knetworkmanger needs a libnl update in F-7 not F-8 there is still no
knetworkmanager for F-8 last i heard it was somewhat working but the
maintainer ported to a different set of dbus bindings.

Dennis

Dan Williams 01-04-2008 05:11 PM

libnl update to 1.0-pre8

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 11:15 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Friday 04 January 2008 11:05:03 am Dan Williams wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For various reasons (kernel 2.6.24 compatibility, memory leaks,
> > knetworkmanager wants it, etc) I'm going to push libnl 1.0-pre8 to F-8.
> > It's unfortunately got some API/ABI changes the require rebuilds and
> > possibly source patches for packages that link to it. I'm just starting
> > the process of rebuilding the stuff that I own, and the only other user
> > that I could identify via repoquery was dhcp/libdhcp, for which I've
> > coordinated with dcantrell on. Just a heads-up; I don't think anyone
> > besides NetworkManager and libdhcp are affected though.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Dan,
>
> knetworkmanger needs a libnl update in F-7 not F-8 there is still no
> knetworkmanager for F-8 last i heard it was somewhat working but the
> maintainer ported to a different set of dbus bindings.

Yeah, the problem on F-7 is that NetworkManager uses netlink to get
wireless scan events and connect/disconnect events too. libnl doesn't
implement those yet, and may not, so we run into the same problem as
before: if we connect to netlink both manually and with NM, we run the
risk of netlink PID collision, but libnl-1.0-pre8 doesn't make it easy
to fix that unless you use libnl exclusively.

It might be possible to use the libnl low-level send/recv APIs to get
these messages and parse them manually like NM is already doing. It
might also be possible to add a custom WEXT event handler to libnl. Or
hack around libnl in F-7 by making NM pick a randomized netlink PID and
hoping it and libnl don't collide. Thoughts? Last one is easiest.

Dan