Old 01-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Hans de Goede

Default New tcl-8.5 and 8Kingdoms

Hi all,

I just tried building 8Kingdoms with the new tcl in rawhide, it builds fine,
but it does not work.

Any of the actions (moving a unit for example) which normally invoke a tcl
script underneath now no longer work.

I'm quite good in fixing C bugs but this problem lies either in the interfacing
with tcl or in the tcl code itself and I'm helpless there. So I hope that
someone can try running 8Kingdoms with tcl 8.5, and write a fix.

Note I've also send a request upstream asking for help, I'll report back here
as soon as I get response.

If I don't have it fixed by F-9 then I will have to remove 8Kingdoms from
Fedora's repositories (better then shipping a broken version).

Thanks & Regards,

Hans

Old 01-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Michael Thomas

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just tried building 8Kingdoms with the new tcl in rawhide, it builds
> fine, but it does not work.
>
> Any of the actions (moving a unit for example) which normally invoke a
> tcl script underneath now no longer work.
>
> I'm quite good in fixing C bugs but this problem lies either in the
> interfacing with tcl or in the tcl code itself and I'm helpless there.
> So I hope that someone can try running 8Kingdoms with tcl 8.5, and write
> a fix.
>
> Note I've also send a request upstream asking for help, I'll report back
> here as soon as I get response.
>
> If I don't have it fixed by F-9 then I will have to remove 8Kingdoms
> from Fedora's repositories (better then shipping a broken version).

Did you have to make any changes to 8Kingdoms to get it to build with
Tcl 8.5? If so please pass along any patches. I'll try building and
running it myself to see if I can track down the problem.

--Wart

Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Hans de Goede

Michael Thomas wrote:

Hans de Goede wrote:

[...]

Nope,

No changes, I also did a diff between the buildlogs, no new compiler warnings
or anything like that.

I did build it with gcc-4.3, as I was working on it not building with gcc-4.3 too.

I've just committed my latest 8Kingdoms work to cvs, so you can get it from
there, including a patch for the crash you reported (tested using tcl 8.4).

Thanks,

Hans

Old 01-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Hans de Goede

Marcela Maslanova wrote:

I had also look at it and ask upstream about help.

Thanks,

I assume you mean tcl upstream? I'm already in contact about this with
8Kingdoms.

I've had a reply from them that the 8Kingdoms project is sort of
sleeping (boh authors graduated from university and are working now, we
all know whats that like), but they would try to take a look at the tcl
8.5 issue.

Regards,

Hans

Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Wart

Michael Thomas wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just tried building 8Kingdoms with the new tcl in rawhide, it builds
>> fine, but it does not work.
>>
>> Any of the actions (moving a unit for example) which normally invoke a
>> tcl script underneath now no longer work.
>>
>> I'm quite good in fixing C bugs but this problem lies either in the
>> interfacing with tcl or in the tcl code itself and I'm helpless there.
>> So I hope that someone can try running 8Kingdoms with tcl 8.5, and write
>> a fix.
>>
>> Note I've also send a request upstream asking for help, I'll report back
>> here as soon as I get response.
>>
>> If I don't have it fixed by F-9 then I will have to remove 8Kingdoms
>> from Fedora's repositories (better then shipping a broken version).
>
> Did you have to make any changes to 8Kingdoms to get it to build with
> Tcl 8.5? If so please pass along any patches. I'll try building and
> running it myself to see if I can track down the problem.

I got it built and installed, but X on my Rawhide box is busted at the
moment. I'll take another look once it's working again.

--Wart

Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Wart

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Michael Thomas wrote:
>> Did you have to make any changes to 8Kingdoms to get it to build with
>> Tcl 8.5? If so please pass along any patches. I'll try building and
>> running it myself to see if I can track down the problem.
>>

> Nope,
>
> No changes, I also did a diff between the buildlogs, no new compiler
> warnings or anything like that.
>
> I did build it with gcc-4.3, as I was working on it not building with
> gcc-4.3 too.
>
> I've just committed my latest 8Kingdoms work to cvs, so you can get it
> from there, including a patch for the crash you reported (tested using
> tcl 8.4).

It looks like it's a result of the stack checking code in the Tcl
library itself. Turning off the stack checking code by compiling Tcl
with -DTCL_NO_STACK_CHECK=1 makes the problem in 8Kingdoms go away.

With the stack checking turned on, the Tcl scripts in 8Kingdoms fail
with the error "out of stack space (infinite loop?)". This error is
generated by the stack checking code in tclBasic.c line 3439.

I don't understand enough of this stack checking stuff to debug it any
further, unfortunately.

--Mike

Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Hans de Goede

Wart wrote:

Hans de Goede wrote:

Michael Thomas wrote:

[...]

Well that looks like C-code to me, so I'll dive into it when I find the time.

Regards,

Hans

Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Hans de Goede

Wart wrote:

Hans de Goede wrote:

Michael Thomas wrote:

[...]

This:

http://www.nabble.com/--tcl-Bugs-1815573---Stack-space-check-fails-in-Linux-x86-build-td14439502.html

Is very interesting in this regard, it may be a good idea to completely disable
stack checking for now, but I'm a bit quick with judging this atm. I'll take a
further look as time permits.

Right now I first have to go fill in some Tax Forms

Regards,

Hans

Old 01-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Hans de Goede

Wart wrote:

Hans de Goede wrote:

Michael Thomas wrote:

[...]

And here is another program which is known to brake with stack checking:
http://wiki.tcl.tk/20153

Quoting the author:
"The stack checking is somewhat of a hack IMO anyway"
"Unfortunately as long as the broken stack checking remains in Tcl, this must
require compiling Tcl with -DTCL_NO_STACK_CHECK."

So maybe it would be best to just disable it on Fedora?

Regards,

Hans