Old 01-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default RFC: Fedora Xfce Spin

Hi

I have created a initial kickstart file for a Fedora Xfce spin available at

http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-xfce.ks

I still have a problem in that a file called "Desktop", that is a
desktop file for the liveinst command is created on the default Xfce
desktop and Xfce complains about that during login. I am not sure where
that is coming from.

Before I submit this to release engineering, I would like to get some
feedback, fixes and suggestions on any improvements possible. My
intention it to do a initial release for Fedora 8 and continue with
incremental improvements over the Fedora 9 development period and have a
solid Xfce spin as part of the Fedora 9 release.

Rahul

Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi

I have created a initial kickstart file for a Fedora Xfce spin available at

http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-xfce.ks

I still have a problem in that a file called "Desktop", that is a
desktop file for the liveinst command is created on the default Xfce
desktop and Xfce complains about that during login. I am not sure where
that is coming from.

Jeremy indicated on IRC that this is because, xdg-user-dirs is not
installed. I have fixed this now.

Rahul

Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 AM
Matthew Miller

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:22:48PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> feedback, fixes and suggestions on any improvements possible. My
> intention it to do a initial release for Fedora 8 and continue with
> incremental improvements over the Fedora 9 development period and have a
> solid Xfce spin as part of the Fedora 9 release.

Cool. I'll look at it when I get out of this snowstorm and back to Boston.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Old 01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Hi,

Fedora Xfce Spin is a variant of Fedora with a focus on low resource
systems and in particular Xfce users. It is a live cd image that you can
optionally install to hard disk or USB images.

I have a kickstart file available at

http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-xfce.ks

This is meant for Fedora 8. You can either take a look at the list of
packages or try creating a local image

# yum install livecd-tools
# livecd-creator --config <kickstart file>

You might want to use a local mirror and --cache option to
livecd-creator. Creating local customizations is trivial. Comments,
fixes and suggestions, welcome.

Rahul

Old 01-03-2008, 06:29 PM
"Frank Murphy"

Fedora Xfce Spin is a variant of Fedora with a focus on low resource
systems and in particular Xfce users. It is a live cd image that you can
optionally install to hard disk or USB images.

Being a somewhta newbie!!

How do I get around:
*livecd-creator --config livecd-fedora-8-xfce.ks
Using label fedora-8-xfce-200801031921
Error creating Live CD : SELinux requested but not enabled on host system

I uninstalled selinux, how can I get around this. If I re-install seliux, still won't know how to enable it
Frank
--
frankly3d.com
Skype: Frankly3D

Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Frank Murphy wrote:

Being a somewhta newbie!!

How do I get around:
livecd-creator --config livecd-fedora-8-xfce.ks
Using label fedora-8-xfce-200801031921
Error creating Live CD : SELinux requested but not enabled on host system

I uninstalled selinux, how can I get around this. If I re-install
seliux, still won't know how to enable it

SELinux is enabled in the live cd kickstart file but not on your system
and live cd creator would complain since this would result in incorrect
SELinux labels in the generated image. Either you can install SELinux
and enable it on your system or disable it in the kickstart file.

If you would like to disable SELinux in the file, edit the file and
after % include line, add

selinux --disabled

That should work.

Rahul

Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 PM
"Frank Murphy"

Frank Murphy wrote:

> How do I get around:
>**livecd-creator --config livecd-fedora-8-xfce.ks
> Using label fedora-8-xfce-200801031921
> Error creating Live CD : SELinux requested but not enabled on host system

> I uninstalled selinux, how can I get around this. If I re-install
> seliux, still won't know how to enable it

If you would like to disable SELinux in the file, edit the file and
after % include line, add

selinux --disabled

That should work.

Rahul

It worked thanks.

Frank
--
frankly3d.com
Skype: Frankly3D

Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Michael Wiktowy wrote:

Now I have to figure out the best way to do some custom desktop
configuration (adding notes, desktop shortcuts, default themes, etc.)
before building the ISO file ... I'm guessing there is some kickstart
magic that I have yet to learn.

For the common stuff, there is specific kickstart directives. Otherwise
you have to hack it in %post section similar to what is being done in
the kickstart file I have provided.

Rahul

Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 PM
"Michael Wiktowy"

On Jan 3, 2008 12:48 PM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fedora Xfce Spin is a variant of Fedora with a focus on low resource
> systems and in particular Xfce users. It is a live cd image that you can
> optionally install to hard disk or USB images.
>
> I have a kickstart file available at
>
> http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/livecd-fedora-8-xfce.ks
>
> This is meant for Fedora 8. You can either take a look at the list of
> packages or try creating a local image
>
> # yum install livecd-tools
> # livecd-creator --config <kickstart file>
>
> You might want to use a local mirror and --cache option to
> livecd-creator. Creating local customizations is trivial. Comments,
> fixes and suggestions, welcome.

Thanks for this, Rahul.

After disabling the repos listed in that xfce ks file (since the the
base ks file had ones that worked and are inherited), pointing it to
the location of the default local base ks file and putting selinux in
permissive mode (otherwise it blows up my Gnome desktop as soon as
selinux-policy-targetted starts installing), I finally made my first
custom built Fedora LiveCD! Exciting stuff.

Now I have to figure out the best way to do some custom desktop
configuration (adding notes, desktop shortcuts, default themes, etc.)
before building the ISO file ... I'm guessing there is some kickstart
magic that I have yet to learn.

/Mike

Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Michael Wiktowy wrote:

Would it be sane to set up a fedora user account on the LiveCD build
system, configure and tweak the preferences that are not easily
scriptable ( i.e. including icon placement/sizing, taskbar setup,
setting up user accounts for different apps, etc.) and then somehow
use that user home directory as a substitute for /etc/skel (or
wherever it pulls the fedora user template from to stick on the CD)
when having livecd-creator compose the LiveCD image?

Or am I reinventing the wheel here?

I think most of what you consider not easily scriptable, actually is but
the kickstart configuration for the most part is not specific to the
live cd environment and if you layout the details on what you want to
achieve,

http://www.redhat.com/archives/kickstart-list/ and #kickstart channel
has a active community that should be able to help you.

Rahul