FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Brian Pepple
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

Here's a proposal for the handling of new compat packages:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple/DraftCompatPackages

FESCo discussed this back at our last meeting, but before we pulled the
trigger on this, I want to get feedback from the mailing list. I'm
tentatively planning on having FESCo vote on this at the 2008-01-10
meeting, though that could change based on any feedback I receive.

Thanks,
/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org>

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 810CC15E
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Rex Dieter
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

Brian Pepple wrote:

> Here's a proposal for the handling of new compat packages:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple/DraftCompatPackages
> FESCo discussed this back at our last meeting, but before we pulled the
> trigger on this, I want to get feedback from the mailing list.

Huge heap of common sense, +1.

-- Rex

p.s. almost sad really, that what is, to me, just common sense even needs
to be elucidated, but so be it.

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

On 02.01.2008 17:21, Brian Pepple wrote:
> Here's a proposal for the handling of new compat packages:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple/DraftCompatPackages

Below the proposal text cut'n'pasted from the wiki for easier review and
here on the list (as discussed in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-December/msg01269.html

and written down in
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Development/Schedule/MeetingGuidelines ).

---

= Compatibility Packages Draft =
[[TableOfContents()]]

= Overview =

== Problem Space ==
## Describe the problem this proposal seeks to solve
Compatibility packages are packages which provide a secondary (usually
older) version of an API or program from the primary version packaged
within Fedora. Currently, there are no formal guidelines in regards to
the creation of them.

== Solution Overview ==
## Describe in brief the solution proposed
In general, software within Fedora should be moved to run on the current
version of libraries. Shipping multiple versions of libraries tends to
be problematic due to a potential case where multiple versions of a
library could be linked into one running process leading to
unpredictable results. It also means that security changes, fixes, etc.
They also take more repository space, requiring more download of package
metadata, ...

In cases where this isn't possible, a compatibility package _may_ be
introduced if there is someone who is willing to maintain the
compatibility package and the primary package maintainer is not against
the idea. The reasoning for the latter is that even if the primary
maintainer is not maintaining the compatibility package, chances are
that they will have to be involved in the maintenance due to passing
along security problems, helping out with things and redirecting
misfiled bugs. If the compatibility packager and the primary package
maintainer cannot come to a mutual decision, it can be escalated to
FESCo to make the final decision.

== Scope ==
## Describe the scope of what all things will be effected by the proposal
This proposal would only affect the creation of new compatibility packages.

== Comments ? ==
## A section provided for comments

---

CU
knurd

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Josh Boyer
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:21:49 -0500
Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Here's a proposal for the handling of new compat packages:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple/DraftCompatPackages
>
> FESCo discussed this back at our last meeting, but before we pulled the
> trigger on this, I want to get feedback from the mailing list. I'm
> tentatively planning on having FESCo vote on this at the 2008-01-10
> meeting, though that could change based on any feedback I receive.

Should there be, or is there, a time limit on the life of compat
packages?

josh

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

Josh Boyer <jwboyer <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Should there be, or is there, a time limit on the life of compat
> packages?

Definitely not without exceptions!
kdelibs3 will be needed for years to come.

Kevin Kofler

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Emmanuel Seyman
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

* Brian Pepple [02/01/2008 17:59] :
>
> FESCo discussed this back at our last meeting, but before we pulled the
> trigger on this, I want to get feedback from the mailing list. I'm
> tentatively planning on having FESCo vote on this at the 2008-01-10
> meeting, though that could change based on any feedback I receive.

Should upstream be informed/consulted/given-veto-power ?

Emmanuel

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Brian Pepple
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 10:56 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:21:49 -0500
> Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Here's a proposal for the handling of new compat packages:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple/DraftCompatPackages
> >
> > FESCo discussed this back at our last meeting, but before we pulled the
> > trigger on this, I want to get feedback from the mailing list. I'm
> > tentatively planning on having FESCo vote on this at the 2008-01-10
> > meeting, though that could change based on any feedback I receive.
>
> Should there be, or is there, a time limit on the life of compat
> packages?

IMO, we should leave that decision to the compat packager. Also, I'd
like to have the bureaucracy of the policy be fairly minimal.

Later,
/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org>

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 810CC15E
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Brian Pepple
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 18:05 +0100, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Brian Pepple [02/01/2008 17:59] :
> >
> > FESCo discussed this back at our last meeting, but before we pulled the
> > trigger on this, I want to get feedback from the mailing list. I'm
> > tentatively planning on having FESCo vote on this at the 2008-01-10
> > meeting, though that could change based on any feedback I receive.
>
> Should upstream be informed/consulted/given-veto-power ?

I think it probably makes sense to have a good dialog with upstream
(which applies with all packages, not just compat), but I'm not sure if
it's necessary to formally require that upstream be consulted when
proposing a compat package.

/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org>

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 810CC15E
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Josh Boyer
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:05:51 +0100
Emmanuel Seyman <emmanuel.seyman@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> * Brian Pepple [02/01/2008 17:59] :
> >
> > FESCo discussed this back at our last meeting, but before we pulled the
> > trigger on this, I want to get feedback from the mailing list. I'm
> > tentatively planning on having FESCo vote on this at the 2008-01-10
> > meeting, though that could change based on any feedback I receive.
>
> Should upstream be informed/consulted/given-veto-power ?

Informed/consulted, yes. Veto power... I wouldn't think so.

josh

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 01-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Josh Boyer
 
Default Policy proposal for compatibility packages

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:08:59 -0500
Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 10:56 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:21:49 -0500
> > Brian Pepple <bpepple@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Here's a proposal for the handling of new compat packages:
> > >
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple/DraftCompatPackages
> > >
> > > FESCo discussed this back at our last meeting, but before we pulled the
> > > trigger on this, I want to get feedback from the mailing list. I'm
> > > tentatively planning on having FESCo vote on this at the 2008-01-10
> > > meeting, though that could change based on any feedback I receive.
> >
> > Should there be, or is there, a time limit on the life of compat
> > packages?
>
> IMO, we should leave that decision to the compat packager. Also, I'd
> like to have the bureaucracy of the policy be fairly minimal.

Yes, that's true. Ignore my question, it only leads to pain.

josh

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org