Old 01-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Douglas McClendon

Default f8 gripe #3: infamous Load_Cycle_Count started hitting my laptop, FAQ?

Last gripe for the night-

The infamous ubuntu Load_Cycle_Count laptop drive killer issue started
hitting me when I upgraded from F7 to F8.

Google searching for a fedora specific best practice resolution to this
failed me. Any pointers?

Quite simply, what is the prescribed way for me to run 'hdparm -B 254
/dev/sda' upon resume from suspend and hibernate? (or a better solution
than that).

-dmc

Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Till Maas

On Mi Januar 2 2008, Douglas McClendon wrote:

> Quite simply, what is the prescribed way for me to run 'hdparm -B 254
> /dev/sda' upon resume from suspend and hibernate? (or a better solution
> than that).

You can test a new hook that should restore you hd apm settings. Just copy
https://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/rpms/pm-utils/devel/pm-utils-99hd-apm-restore
to /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99hd-apm-restore

Regards,
Till

Old 01-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Douglas McClendon

Till Maas wrote:

Quite simply, what is the prescribed way for me to run 'hdparm -B 254
/dev/sda' upon resume from suspend and hibernate? (or a better solution
than that).

You can test a new hook that should restore you hd apm settings. Just copy
https://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/rpms/pm-utils/devel/pm-utils-99hd-apm-restore
to /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99hd-apm-restore

Thanks, that looks like it will work for me. Just for complete
reference, here is an ubuntu bug, in which it is mentioned that for some
reason 255 doesn't work for everyone (thus _maybe_ 254 is a better default)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DanielHahler/Bug59695

Thanks,

-dmc

Regards,
Till

Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Till Maas

On Do Januar 3 2008, Douglas McClendon wrote:

> Thanks, that looks like it will work for me. Just for complete
> reference, here is an ubuntu bug, in which it is mentioned that for some
> reason 255 doesn't work for everyone (thus _maybe_ 254 is a better default)

255 is not a default value, but the value that is used when the script
detects, that there is apm support in the hd, but it is disabled. When it is
enabled it tries to get the current value and stores it, in case it cannot
get a value, the user needs to define one manually in the config file.

Regards,
Till

Old 01-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Pádraig Brady

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Last gripe for the night-
>
> The infamous ubuntu Load_Cycle_Count laptop drive killer issue started
> hitting me when I upgraded from F7 to F8.

I noticed this "issue" with FC4 and F7.
After upgrading to F8 things were much better because
relatime is used by default for all mounts:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-October/msg02324.html
http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/hard_disk_reliability/

Pádraig.