Old 12-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Lamar Owen

Default GNU Radio

Before I go into the whole process of coming up to speed with the Fedora
packaging guidelines, etc, I wanted to ask here if anyone else here is
working on GNU Radio packages for Fedora.

If not, I'm going to work on such; it may take me a little time to come up to
speed with 'modern' packaging (it has, after all, been a little while since I
last spun a PostgreSQL RPMset, back in 2004). So I know I have a lot to
learn; thankfully, the documentation is far superior to what I remember in
2004 and earlier....
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer

Old 12-31-2007, 07:28 PM
"Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray"

> Before I go into the whole process of coming up to speed with the Fedora
> packaging guidelines, etc, I wanted to ask here if anyone else here is
> working on GNU Radio packages for Fedora.

GNU Radio is there on the WishList:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WishList and no one
has claimed it there yet.

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
Free software for the Indian community:
* ftp://fedora.glug-nith.org/ (Fedora)

Old 12-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Lamar Owen

On Monday 31 December 2007, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> > Before I go into the whole process of coming up to speed with the Fedora
> > packaging guidelines, etc, I wanted to ask here if anyone else here is
> > working on GNU Radio packages for Fedora.
>
> GNU Radio is there on the WishList:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WishList and no one
> has claimed it there yet.

Yeah, I saw it on the Wishlist, but didn't know if it had yet been claimed.

The only potential snags I know of with it are the two firmware files needed
for the usrp portion of the package; the one is the firmware for the USB
device controller on the USRP, which is easily generated with the free
toolchain 'sdcc' already in Fedora, and thus isn't probably a snag at all.

On the other hand, the FPGA bitstream, while it itself is open and the verilog
source is GPL'd, it needs a non-Free toolchain (Quartus II; although the web
edition is no-cost, it is not Free) to build. Prebuilt FPGA bitstreams meet
the requirements mentioned in the Firmware section of the packaging
guidelines on the wiki, as far as I can tell, but I would certainly submit
whether that is the case or not to the group.

I actively use GNURadio here, and have the USRP hardware on which to test
builds and such. Learning this new build system will be what will challenge
me the most; it does appear to be a timesaving system, though, and quite well
thought-out (back in the day, I built PostgreSQL RPMs on the actual target
platform; even if that meant pressing an old 486 into use, which I did,
frequently, for Red Hat 6.2 builds (when Red Hat 9 was Old Hat and Fedora
Core 1 was the talk of the town); Mock looks like it makes builds so much
easier and more automatic; I still remember taking a full weekend to get all
the builds done for all the archs I supported).

Old 01-01-2008, 01:20 PM
"Trond Danielsen"

2007/12/31, Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu>:
> On Monday 31 December 2007, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> > > Before I go into the whole process of coming up to speed with the Fedora
> > > packaging guidelines, etc, I wanted to ask here if anyone else here is
> > > working on GNU Radio packages for Fedora.
> >
> > GNU Radio is there on the WishList:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WishList and no one
> > has claimed it there yet.
>
> Yeah, I saw it on the Wishlist, but didn't know if it had yet been claimed.

I started working on a GNU Radio package for Fedora, but I never found
the time to finish it. I do not know if you will find it useful, but I
have a preliminary spec file here:
http://trondd.fedorapeople.org/spec_files/

Best Regads,
--
Trond Danielsen

Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Lamar Owen

On Tuesday 01 January 2008, Trond Danielsen wrote:
> I started working on a GNU Radio package for Fedora, but I never found
> the time to finish it. I do not know if you will find it useful, but I
> have a preliminary spec file here:
> http://trondd.fedorapeople.org/spec_files/

Yes, thank you Trond.

Having something started is great, as that's a good part of the job, is just
getting started.