Old 12-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Richard Hughes

Default Difficulties testing the new nouveau driver

As some of you may know I've been packaging and testing nouveau (the
free NVIDIA 3D driver) for some time. The current way the driver is
packaged is making things very difficult to properly test on fedora:

* The xf86-video-nv-2.1.5.tar.bz2 and nouveau-gitID.tar.gz are included
in the xorg-x11-drv-nv-2.1.5 srpm.
* This srpm spits out xorg-x11-drv-nv-2.1.5 and
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-2.1.5 rpm files when built.

This poses me problems as:

* I can't easily keep the original nv rpm intact when building the new
nouveau
* The upstream version of nouveau ddx is 1.2.0, and the rpm version is
2.1.5
* I can't uninstall the xorg-x11-drv-nv driver to test nouveau from
source without nuking the nv driver too.

I understand that one day the nouveau ddx will replace the nv ddx, but
this can be accomplished with standard rpm obsoletes rather than
shipping the nouveau source in the nv srpm. For me, I think the proper
way of doing this would be to:

* Have a nouveau srpm *and* a nv srpm - they are different codebases and
have different version numbers
* Somehow fix the brokenness that has lead to the version number
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-2.1.5 being installed when actually installed was
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-1.2.0

Ideas welcome.

Richard.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:14 AM
drago01

Richard Hughes wrote:

[...]

+1 I see no reason why they should be in the same srpm.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:15 AM
Andreas Bierfert

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:03:19 +0000
Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:

> * Have a nouveau srpm *and* a nv srpm - they are different codebases and
> have different version numbers
> * Somehow fix the brokenness that has lead to the version number
> xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-2.1.5 being installed when actually installed was
> xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-1.2.0

This seems like the right thing to do. To resolve the version problems you
probably have to bump the epoch on nouveau and imho this situation is a valid
reason to do so.

- Andreas

--
Andreas Bierfert, B.Sc. | http://awbsworld.de | GPG: C58CF1CB
andreas.bierfert@lowlatency.de | http://lowlatency.de | signed/encrypted

Old 01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Adam Jackson

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 12:15 +0100, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:03:19 +0000
> Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > * Have a nouveau srpm *and* a nv srpm - they are different codebases and
> > have different version numbers
> > * Somehow fix the brokenness that has lead to the version number
> > xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-2.1.5 being installed when actually installed was
> > xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-1.2.0
>
> This seems like the right thing to do. To resolve the version problems you
> probably have to bump the epoch on nouveau and imho this situation is a valid
> reason to do so.

Fine with me. Wish I'd noticed the version number skew earlier.

- ajax