-   -   Getting GNOME settings applied for GNOME apps in KDE sessions (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/25044-getting-gnome-settings-applied-gnome-apps-kde-sessions.html)

Ville Skyttä 12-30-2007 09:48 AM

Getting GNOME settings applied for GNOME apps in KDE sessions

Hello,

Related to Jesse's "I care when it looks like ass compared to the other apps I
have open" message in the recent K3b thread:

Getting GNOME apps to look decent in KDE sessions is somewhat painful
currently. Not only does one need to configure their settings in the GNOME
control center (which I can understand and live with even though it's
suboptimal), but that is not enough. No settings persist accross session
unless one gets something to start gnome-settings-daemon.

Without gnome-settings-daemon running, many GNOME apps display broken/missing
icons, and do not honor the settings I've configured in GNOME control center
(eg. font sizes, themes). For examples of broken icons log in to a fresh KDE
session, and open GNOME control center itself (the initial view shows lots of
broken icons) or the nm-applet context menus. For examples of my font size
being ignored, any GNOME app seems to do.

Where should this be fixed? Shouldn't GNOME apps that use settings governed
by the daemon get the daemon running if needed? Can't GNOME apps be made to
look semi decent (eg. no broken icons) without the daemon running? What if
gnome-settings-daemon isn't even installed? Should KDE start
gnome-settings-daemon when a session starts?

This is on F8. I've traditionally "fixed" this locally by installing a
~/.kde/Autostart/gnome-settings-daemon -> /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
symlink but I think this deserves a real fix somewhere so that things just
work.

Felix Miata 12-30-2007 10:12 AM

Getting GNOME settings applied for GNOME apps in KDE sessions

On 2007/12/30 12:48 (GMT+0200) Ville Skyttä apparently typed:

> Where should this be fixed?

Other distros in KControl right below "Fonts" have a selection "GTK Styles
and Fonts". PITA that it doesn't. Dunno why F8 doesn't have it, unless it's a
Fedora way to try to coerce KDE users into using Gnome.
--
Jesus Christ, the reason for the season.

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Kevin Kofler 12-30-2007 12:00 PM

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta <at> iki.fi> writes:
> Where should this be fixed? Shouldn't GNOME apps that use settings governed
> by the daemon get the daemon running if needed? Can't GNOME apps be made to
> look semi decent (eg. no broken icons) without the daemon running? What if
> gnome-settings-daemon isn't even installed? Should KDE start
> gnome-settings-daemon when a session starts?

I guess we should be checking if gnome-settings-daemon is installed and running
it if it is, in an autostart script in kdebase(-workspace) or kde-settings. But
I'll discuss this with the other KDE SIG folks.

Kevin Kofler

Kevin Kofler 12-30-2007 12:03 PM

Felix Miata <mrmazda <at> ij.net> writes:
> Other distros in KControl right below "Fonts" have a selection "GTK Styles
> and Fonts". PITA that it doesn't. Dunno why F8 doesn't have it, unless it's a

AFAIK, this KControl module is provided by the gtk-qt-engine, and works
independently of whether you actually use that as your GTK+ theme or not. So
install our gtk-qt-engine theme to get it.

> Fedora way to try to coerce KDE users into using Gnome.

Nobody is trying to coerce you into using GNOME. :-)

Kevin Kofler

Kevin Kofler 12-30-2007 12:11 PM

Oops, I wrote:
> install our gtk-qt-engine theme to get it.

I actually meant "install our gtk-qt-engine _package_". The theme itself isn't
Fedora's work, of course. ;-)

Kevin Kofler

Rex Dieter 12-30-2007 12:25 PM

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta <at> iki.fi> writes:
>> Where should this be fixed? Shouldn't GNOME apps that use settings
>> governed
>> by the daemon get the daemon running if needed? Can't GNOME apps be made
>> look semi decent (eg. no broken icons) without the daemon running? What
>> if
>> gnome-settings-daemon isn't even installed? Should KDE start
>> gnome-settings-daemon when a session starts?
>
> I guess we should be checking if gnome-settings-daemon is installed and
> running it if it is, in an autostart script in kdebase(-workspace) or
> kde-settings. But I'll discuss this with the other KDE SIG folks.

IMO, this isn't a "kde"-specific problem per-se, this same issue will arise
using any desktop != gnome. To me, begs the question, why don't gnome
apps "just work" when launched outside of a gnome environment?

-- Rex

Kevin Kofler 12-30-2007 12:54 PM

Rex Dieter <rdieter <at> math.unl.edu> writes:
> IMO, this isn't a "kde"-specific problem per-se, this same issue will arise
> using any desktop != gnome. To me, begs the question, why don't gnome
> apps "just work" when launched outside of a gnome environment?

That's a good question to ask. KDE apps can autolaunch all the daemons they
need to run, why can't GNOME apps do the same?

Kevin Kofler

Ville Skyttä 12-30-2007 01:45 PM

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta <at> iki.fi> writes:
> >> Where should this be fixed? Shouldn't GNOME apps that use settings
> >> governed
> >> by the daemon get the daemon running if needed? Can't GNOME apps be
> >> made to
> >> look semi decent (eg. no broken icons) without the daemon running? What
> >> if
> >> gnome-settings-daemon isn't even installed? Should KDE start
> >> gnome-settings-daemon when a session starts?
> >
> > I guess we should be checking if gnome-settings-daemon is installed and
> > running it if it is, in an autostart script in kdebase(-workspace) or
> > kde-settings. But I'll discuss this with the other KDE SIG folks.
>
> IMO, this isn't a "kde"-specific problem per-se, this same issue will arise
> using any desktop != gnome. To me, begs the question, why don't gnome
> apps "just work" when launched outside of a gnome environment?

Right, that would be preferable. (I actually asked that question in a bunch
of different forms in my initial mail.) But without knowing anything about
whether it's considered a "feature" or if it's hard to fix or not, I think
launching the daemon in $DE session startup scripts would be an acceptable
and easy enough temporary fix until there's a better solution.

Interestingly enough, some apps seem to launch the daemon if it's not already
running. For example clicking some (but not all) buttons in
gnome-control-center do it. That doesn't happen with the majority (or any?)
of other GNOME/GTK apps I regularly use though.

Ville Skyttä 12-30-2007 02:21 PM

On Sunday 30 December 2007, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Oops, I wrote:
> > install our gtk-qt-engine theme to get it.
>
> I actually meant "install our gtk-qt-engine _package_".

Ok, that looks useful, but helps only for a subset of the issues. For
example, it doesn't help with broken gnome-control-center icons.

Even so, I think having it installed by default in KDE setups could be an
improvement (no new deps caused as at least zenity which is there by default
already pulls in gtk stuff). comps-f9 patch attached.

On the other hand, a running gnome-settings-daemon appears to override
gtk-qt-engine's settings so that they have no effect. So if there's going to
be a change so that KDE will launch gnome-settings-daemon at session startup,
there doesn't seem to be point in having gtk-qt-engine installed by default
any more.

Matthias Clasen 12-31-2007 12:02 AM

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 13:00 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta <at> iki.fi> writes:
> > Where should this be fixed? Shouldn't GNOME apps that use settings governed
> > by the daemon get the daemon running if needed? Can't GNOME apps be made to
> > look semi decent (eg. no broken icons) without the daemon running? What if
> > gnome-settings-daemon isn't even installed? Should KDE start
> > gnome-settings-daemon when a session starts?
>
> I guess we should be checking if gnome-settings-daemon is installed and running
> it if it is, in an autostart script in kdebase(-workspace) or kde-settings. But
> I'll discuss this with the other KDE SIG folks.

What should rather happen is that kde should run an xsettings manager
that maps kde settings to xsettings where it makes sense. That will let
you use kde tools to configure gtk applications, at least for basic
things that are covered by xsettings. I thought there was an xsettings
manager for kde somewhere. Does the Fedora KDE include that ?