Old 12-31-2007, 01:43 AM
Rex Dieter

Default Getting GNOME settings applied for GNOME apps in KDE sessions

Matthias Clasen wrote:

> I thought there was an xsettings
> manager for kde somewhere. Does the Fedora KDE include that ?

Not that I'm aware, but I'd love to be wrong here.

-- Rex

Old 12-31-2007, 02:58 AM
Rex Dieter

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
>> I thought there was an xsettings
>> manager for kde somewhere. Does the Fedora KDE include that ?
>
> Not that I'm aware, but I'd love to be wrong here.

Did some digging, looks like Mandriva includes a home-brew package named
xsettings-kde, and it looks like it could serve nicely.

(and why oh why was this never upstreamed...)

-- Rex

Old 12-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Rex Dieter

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
>
>> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>
>>> I thought there was an xsettings
>>> manager for kde somewhere. Does the Fedora KDE include that ?
>>
>> Not that I'm aware, but I'd love to be wrong here.
>
> Did some digging, looks like Mandriva includes a home-brew package named
> xsettings-kde, and it looks like it could serve nicely.
>
> (and why oh why was this never upstreamed...)

fyi, xsettings-kde is now packaged and in the kde-redhat/testing repo, at
least until it is properly reviewed and in fedora.

-- Rex

Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 PM
Colin Walters

On Sun, 2007-12-30 at 17:21 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Sunday 30 December 2007, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Oops, I wrote:
> > > install our gtk-qt-engine theme to get it.
> >
> > I actually meant "install our gtk-qt-engine _package_".
>
> Ok, that looks useful, but helps only for a subset of the issues. For
> example, it doesn't help with broken gnome-control-center icons.

I think ultimately the right answer is that running gnome-control-center
doesn't make sense outside of GNOME, and that you should be able to
configure the important things for all applications from the KDE menus.
The "proxy to xsettings" approach seems like the current solution for
that.