Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Mike Chambers

Default cron.hourly/daily/weekly/etc. in rawhide

I looked in /etc/crontab and it only has instructions now it seems on
how to setup a crontab. But even reading the anacrontab man page, I
can't see where my cron.daily (for example) is set to run at 4:xx ish
every night. I do see in /etc/anacrontab about delays and some
settings. But guess I don't understand how it works now.

I guess the basic question is, now where do I change what time I want
cron.daily to run now if not /etc/crontab?

--
Mike Chambers
Fedora Project - Bug Zapper, Tester, User, etc..

Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Andrew Haley

Mike Chambers wrote:
> I looked in /etc/crontab and it only has instructions now it seems on
> how to setup a crontab. But even reading the anacrontab man page, I
> can't see where my cron.daily (for example) is set to run at 4:xx ish
> every night. I do see in /etc/anacrontab about delays and some
> settings. But guess I don't understand how it works now.
>
> I guess the basic question is, now where do I change what time I want
> cron.daily to run now if not /etc/crontab?

Anacron does not run cron.daily: /etc/cron.daily/0anacron runs anacron.

/usr/share/doc/anacron-2.3/README

"Anacron is not an attempt to make cron redundant. It cannot
currently be used to schedule commands at intervals smaller than days.
It also does not guarantee that the commands will be executed at any
specific day or hour."

Andrew.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Marcela Maslanova

Mike Chambers wrote:

I looked in /etc/crontab and it only has instructions now it seems on
how to setup a crontab. But even reading the anacrontab man page, I
can't see where my cron.daily (for example) is set to run at 4:xx ish
every night. I do see in /etc/anacrontab about delays and some
settings. But guess I don't understand how it works now.

I guess the basic question is, now where do I change what time I want
cron.daily to run now if not /etc/crontab?

The cron daemon is running every hour anacron, which checks whether run
cron.{daily,weekly,...} now or not. The setting is stored in
/etc/anacrontab where is also possible create random delay. The jobs
should be executed as before for usual user on desktop.

I know on servers people often don't use anacron at all because they
want to run daily jobs in some time range. This could be now also set in
anacrontab. This is discussed here #481775.

I appreciate any feedback.
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno

Old 02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Mike Chambers

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 10:00 +0100, Marcela Maslanova wrote:

> The cron daemon is running every hour anacron, which checks whether run
> cron.{daily,weekly,...} now or not. The setting is stored in
> /etc/anacrontab where is also possible create random delay. The jobs
> should be executed as before for usual user on desktop.
>
> I know on servers people often don't use anacron at all because they
> want to run daily jobs in some time range. This could be now also set in
> anacrontab. This is discussed here #481775.

Ok, I knew and understood anacron is for running cron jobs that missed
their scheduling for various reasons? I only asked about anacrontab
because that is the only setting config file I could find that was close
enough to configuring crontab.

Soooo, I guess what I am trying to ask, is if I want my cron.daily to
run at 3:25 every morning, what/where is the file that I set that for?
Because currently my cron.daily (after a fresh install from few days
ago) runs at 4:xxam and I don't know what is making it run at that time
very morning like it used to be.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Manuel Wolfshant

[...]

It seems that /etc/anacrontab is the new config file for botn cron and
anacron. Quite confusing, to be honest, I would have expected at least
the other way around (have anacron read from /etc/crontab ). But then
again, maybe I am wrong...

Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Mike Chambers

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 01:53 +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 02/18/2009 01:26 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 10:00 +0100, Marcela Maslanova wrote:
> >

> >> The cron daemon is running every hour anacron, which checks whether run
> >> cron.{daily,weekly,...} now or not. The setting is stored in
> >> /etc/anacrontab where is also possible create random delay. The jobs
> >> should be executed as before for usual user on desktop.
> >>
> >> I know on servers people often don't use anacron at all because they
> >> want to run daily jobs in some time range. This could be now also set in
> >> anacrontab. This is discussed here #481775.
> >>

> > Ok, I knew and understood anacron is for running cron jobs that missed
> > their scheduling for various reasons? I only asked about anacrontab
> > because that is the only setting config file I could find that was close
> > enough to configuring crontab.
> >
> > Soooo, I guess what I am trying to ask, is if I want my cron.daily to
> > run at 3:25 every morning, what/where is the file that I set that for?
> > Because currently my cron.daily (after a fresh install from few days
> > ago) runs at 4:xxam and I don't know what is making it run at that time
> > very morning like it used to be.
> >
> It seems that /etc/anacrontab is the new config file for botn cron and
> anacron. Quite confusing, to be honest, I would have expected at least
> the other way around (have anacron read from /etc/crontab ). But then
> again, maybe I am wrong...

I also see /etc/cron.d dir and wonder if putting in a file, like 0hourly
is in there currently, and setting it that way for specific times/dates?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Marcela Maslanova

Mike Chambers wrote:

[...]

If you have START_HOURS_RANGE=3-22 and you are running your computer
24/7 then you should change line with cron.daily in this way:

1 25 cron.daily nice run-parts /etc/cron.daily
Also you need comment out RANDOM_DELAY in anacrontab.

--
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno

Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Marcela Maslanova

Mike Chambers wrote:

[...]

Well the jobs like cron.{daily, weekly,...} were always in anacrontab
and crontab, which leads to running them twice or more, which was solved
by ugly hacks. Now are jobs started only from anacrontab. You can still
remove jobs from anacrontab and run them from crontab, if you wish.

I also see /etc/cron.d dir and wonder if putting in a file, like 0hourly
is in there currently, and setting it that way for specific times/dates?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. 0hourly run the first minute of
hour anacron and anacron checks whether it has to run daily jobs or not.

--
Marcela Mašláňová
BaseOS team Brno