Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Michael Cronenworth

Default Debugging sound volume problem

Jerry James wrote:

Any ideas on how I should determine the
source of the problem?

Gnome volume manager reports PCM and Master audio levels at 100%? Still
quiet?

Open alsamixer? 100%? alsamixer -c 0? 100%?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:43 AM
Brian Maly

Jerry James wrote:

How do I debug a sound volume problem? With F-9 I had no audio
issues, but with F-10, I have to turn my speakers all the way up and
the desktop volume control all the way up to hear anything. It's
still too quiet even so. I've got one of those motherboards with
everything but the kitchen sink built in, including the audio. The
manual doesn't say what it is, but /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 claims
it is a Realtek ALC888. Any ideas on how I should determine the
source of the problem?

Incidentally, I also checked with a pair of headphones to make sure it
isn't a problem with the speakers. The headphones are also too quiet.
I also had my wife check in case the problem is with my personal
audio equipment. She also agrees that the sound is too quiet. :-)

Thanks,

This script is handy for debugging. Its a good place to start anyway.
You might run this with both the F9 kernel and an F10 kernel and see if
there are any obvious differences in the output.

Brian

Old 12-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Lennart Poettering

On Thu, 11.12.08 20:59, Jerry James (loganjerry@gmail.com) wrote:

> How do I debug a sound volume problem? With F-9 I had no audio
> issues, but with F-10, I have to turn my speakers all the way up and
> the desktop volume control all the way up to hear anything. It's
> still too quiet even so. I've got one of those motherboards with
> everything but the kitchen sink built in, including the audio. The
> manual doesn't say what it is, but /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 claims
> it is a Realtek ALC888. Any ideas on how I should determine the
> source of the problem?
>
> Incidentally, I also checked with a pair of headphones to make sure it
> isn't a problem with the speakers. The headphones are also too quiet.
> I also had my wife check in case the problem is with my personal
> audio equipment. She also agrees that the sound is too quiet. :-)

Unfortunately the ALSA mixers are not in all cases properly
initialized by default yet. For cases where this went wrong, you can
use "alsamixer -c0" to play around with the mixer at the lowest level.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering Red Hat, Inc.
lennart [at] poettering [dot] net ICQ# 11060553

Old 12-12-2008, 03:04 PM
"Jerry James"

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Lennart Poettering
<mzerqung@0pointer.de> wrote:
> Unfortunately the ALSA mixers are not in all cases properly
> initialized by default yet. For cases where this went wrong, you can
> use "alsamixer -c0" to play around with the mixer at the lowest level.

Thanks for the helpful information, everyone. This tip did the trick.
Even though the "Master" volume was at 100%, "PCM" and "Front" were
at very low levels, and everything else was at zero. I can hear my
music again! Hurrah!
--
Jerry James, showing his age by listening to "Eye in the Sky"
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/