Old 12-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Steven Moix

Default yum --skip-broken update by default?

Hello,

Last night I had an idea, why not alias "yum update" to "yum
--skip-broken update" by default? This simple hack could prevent a lot
of recurring support questions on the forums:

1) People who have dependency problem won't see them anymore.
2) It doesn't change anything for the rest of the people.

What do you think about that?

Steven

Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Seth Vidal

Last night I had an idea, why not alias "yum update" to "yum
--skip-broken update" by default? This simple hack could prevent a lot
of recurring support questions on the forums:

1) People who have dependency problem won't see them anymore.

b/c we need to get the dep problems reported, too.

2) It doesn't change anything for the rest of the people.

sure it does, it means that you think you're updated completely, but
you're not.

-sv

Old 12-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Bill Nottingham

Seth Vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
>> 1) People who have dependency problem won't see them anymore.
>
> b/c we need to get the dep problems reported, too.

Then you also enable by default the yum-email-dep-problems-to-fedora-devel
plugin.

Bill

Old 12-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Seth Vidal

1) People who have dependency problem won't see them anymore.

b/c we need to get the dep problems reported, too.

Then you also enable by default the yum-email-dep-problems-to-fedora-devel
plugin.

Do we have an anonymous bug filer account we can use? If so, then,
well,yes, we can do that.

-sv

Old 12-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Stephen Gallagher