Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Orion Poplawski

Default Any chance of seeing GCC UPC in Fedora?

Any chance of seeing the GCC UPC compiler in Fedora? Could it be its
own package even though it's basically a patch on top of GCC?

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Roland McGrath

It's its own package with its own upstream, regardless of that it happens
to include a lot of GCC source code. Just package it following the
guidelines like any other. If and when the upstream project merges with
upstream gcc, then it becomes an issue for the Fedora gcc packaging.

Thanks,
Roland

Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Conrad Meyer

On Wednesday 10 December 2008 12:55:34 pm Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Any chance of seeing the GCC UPC compiler in Fedora? Could it be its
> own package even though it's basically a patch on top of GCC?
>
> --
> Orion Poplawski
> Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222
> NWRA/CoRA Division FAX: 303-415-9702
> 3380 Mitchell Lane orion@cora.nwra.com
> Boulder, CO 80301 http://www.cora.nwra.com

Is there any reason not to provide it as part of GCC given that it simply
extends the functionality of GCC (adds another language frontend)? Does
upstream plan to get its patches included in GCC upstream?

Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 12-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Jakub Jelinek

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:23:59PM -0800, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 12:55:34 pm Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > Any chance of seeing the GCC UPC compiler in Fedora? Could it be its
> > own package even though it's basically a patch on top of GCC?
>
> Is there any reason not to provide it as part of GCC given that it simply
> extends the functionality of GCC (adds another language frontend)? Does

Yes, very important reason. From what I see, it has been ported to GCC
4.2.x and 3.4.x, that's not sufficient for Fedora, where we'll soon be
switching to GCC 4.4.x.

> upstream plan to get its patches included in GCC upstream?

Unless they actually get them incorporated into upstream GCC, they won't
be in Fedora primary gcc packages.

Jakub

Old 12-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Jason L Tibbitts III

CM> Is there any reason not to provide it as part of GCC given that it
CM> simply extends the functionality of GCC (adds another language
CM> frontend)?

I imagine this won't happen for the same reason that GPC won't be
included as part of the Fedora GCC packages: it's a separate project,
with its own release schedule. Until the sources actually get into
the main GCC tree, it would be quite difficult to keep them together.
That will almost certainly never happen with GPC; I don't know if UPC
would have better luck.

That said, I did a lot of work to get GPC to build and work in the
face of a changing GCC version that it may occasionally coincide with
(and thus needs to not conflict with). I guess one day I need to get
back to it.

- J<

Old 12-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Andrew Haley

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 01:23:59PM -0800, Conrad Meyer wrote:
>> On Wednesday 10 December 2008 12:55:34 pm Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>> Any chance of seeing the GCC UPC compiler in Fedora? Could it be its
>>> own package even though it's basically a patch on top of GCC?
>> Is there any reason not to provide it as part of GCC given that it simply
>> extends the functionality of GCC (adds another language frontend)? Does
>
> Yes, very important reason. From what I see, it has been ported to GCC
> 4.2.x and 3.4.x, that's not sufficient for Fedora, where we'll soon be
> switching to GCC 4.4.x.
>
>> upstream plan to get its patches included in GCC upstream?
>
> Unless they actually get them incorporated into upstream GCC, they won't
> be in Fedora primary gcc packages.

Yes, this is a crazy situation. They're condemned forever to be scrambling
to keep up with gcc unless they submit the patches upstream.

Everything I've seen in the upc/ dir is marked
"Copyright (C) XXXX Free Software Foundation, Inc."

... so presumably thay have no objection to submitting it.

Baffled,
Andrew.