FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 PM
"Jerry James"
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

I've got a fresh F-10 install on a Core 2 Quad machine. While looking
through dmesg output for a clue to another problem, I noticed this:

p4-clockmod: Warning: EST-capable CPU detected. The acpi-cpufreq
module offers voltage scaling in addition of frequency scaling. You
should use that instead of p4-clockmod, if possible.
p4-clockmod: Unknown p4-clockmod-capable CPU. Please send an e-mail to
<cpufreq@vger.kernel.org>

(repeated 3 more times)

First I wondered why I was getting a cpufreq module loaded on a
desktop machine. I guess I want to do something if the CPU
temperature gets too high, but it doesn't look like the default
configuration handles that case, does it? Anyhow, I edited
/etc/sysconfig/cpuspeed to explicitly say:

DRIVER=acpi-cpufreq

On the next reboot, I had the same complaint in dmesg. On a hunch, I
checked the output of lsmod; p4-clockmod isn't listed. It does exist
as a module here:

/lib/modules/2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/cpufreq/p4-clockmod.ko

So is it also compiled in?
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Matthew Garrett
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 10:47:38AM -0700, Jerry James wrote:
> First I wondered why I was getting a cpufreq module loaded on a
> desktop machine. I guess I want to do something if the CPU
> temperature gets too high, but it doesn't look like the default
> configuration handles that case, does it? Anyhow, I edited
> /etc/sysconfig/cpuspeed to explicitly say:

I suspect what's happening is that acpi-cpufreq is loading and failing
to bind, and then p4-clockmod gets loaded, fails to bind and the module
load is aborted.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Matthew Woehlke
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

Jerry James wrote:

First I wondered why I was getting a cpufreq module loaded on a
desktop machine.


...so your machine draws less power when you aren't using it?

I hear that there is a general trend to add power-friendliness to
Fedora, mainly for laptops/netbooks, which is probably the "why".
However, I agree with doing it in general since saving power is good on
desktops also :-).


--
Matthew
Please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message bodies.
--
For great justice!! -- Captain (Zero Wing)

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 14:46 -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Jerry James wrote:
> > First I wondered why I was getting a cpufreq module loaded on a
> > desktop machine.
>
> ...so your machine draws less power when you aren't using it?
>
> I hear that there is a general trend to add power-friendliness to
> Fedora, mainly for laptops/netbooks, which is probably the "why".
> However, I agree with doing it in general since saving power is good on
> desktops also :-).

s,laptops/netbooks,the environment

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Callum Lerwick
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 14:46 -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Jerry James wrote:
> > First I wondered why I was getting a cpufreq module loaded on a
> > desktop machine.
>
> ...so your machine draws less power when you aren't using it?
>
> I hear that there is a general trend to add power-friendliness to
> Fedora, mainly for laptops/netbooks, which is probably the "why".
> However, I agree with doing it in general since saving power is good on
> desktops also :-).

Also note that power usage directly manifests in heat output. The amount
of heat spewed into the room by a high performance desktop system is
very much a concern on a hot humid summer day in a trailer house with no
air conditioning, sitting in your underwear with sweat dripping down
your face just trying to catch up on fedora-devel...

However it may be desirable in the winter.

It also can manifest in noise. Hard drives spinning, fans... Noise noise
noise. If you've got temp regulated fans, less heat means less noise...

I noticed that at some point my Athlon 64 3000+ (2ghz) desktop system
lost its ability to change frequency. I think it happened in a F9
update, but its definately gone in F10. It was capable of switching
between 2ghz and 1ghz. Is mine one of the old Athlon 64's that take too
much time to switch or something? I never had too much problem, if I was
doing something really demanding I'd just manually lock it at 2ghz...
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Matthew Woehlke
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 14:46 -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:

Jerry James wrote:

First I wondered why I was getting a cpufreq module loaded on a
desktop machine.

...so your machine draws less power when you aren't using it?

I hear that there is a general trend to add power-friendliness to
Fedora, mainly for laptops/netbooks, which is probably the "why".
However, I agree with doing it in general since saving power is good on
desktops also :-).


s,laptops/netbooks,the environment


That wasn't the impression I got, but as I said, that's why I agree with
doing it for everything, regardless of if "the environment" is the
reason versus "just" laptops/netbooks :-).


(And since I'm now running Cambridge on my Asus, I'm in favor of power
saving for both reasons :-).)


--
Matthew
Please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message bodies.
--
For great justice!! -- Captain (Zero Wing)

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Matthew Woehlke
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

Callum Lerwick wrote:

Also note that power usage directly manifests in heat output. The amount
of heat spewed into the room by a high performance desktop system is
very much a concern on a hot humid summer day in a trailer house with no
air conditioning, sitting in your underwear with sweat dripping down
your face just trying to catch up on fedora-devel...

However it may be desirable in the winter.


There's always folding@home (or whatever distributed computing project
you prefer) if you need the extra heat ;-).


--
Matthew
Please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message bodies.
--
For great justice!! -- Captain (Zero Wing)

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Brian Maly
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

Callum Lerwick wrote:

I noticed that at some point my Athlon 64 3000+ (2ghz) desktop system
lost its ability to change frequency. I think it happened in a F9
update, but its definately gone in F10. It was capable of switching
between 2ghz and 1ghz. Is mine one of the old Athlon 64's that take too
much time to switch or something? I never had too much problem, if I was
doing something really demanding I'd just manually lock it at 2ghz...



Did your powernow-k8 driver load properly? Does
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver exist? What are the
contents of this file?



Brian

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2008, 11:30 PM
"Pavel Shevchuk"
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 7:47 PM, Jerry James <loganjerry@gmail.com> wrote:
> First I wondered why I was getting a cpufreq module loaded on a
> desktop machine. I guess I want to do something if the CPU
> temperature gets too high

By lowering frequency you allow coolers to rotate at lower speed and
produce less noise. I couldn't run my Core 2 Quad without scaling -
it's loud as airbus taking off when running at full speed =)

--
http://scwlab.com

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Callum Lerwick
 
Default cpufreq module on x86_64

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 15:48 -0600, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Also note that power usage directly manifests in heat output. The amount
> > of heat spewed into the room by a high performance desktop system is
> > very much a concern on a hot humid summer day in a trailer house with no
> > air conditioning, sitting in your underwear with sweat dripping down
> > your face just trying to catch up on fedora-devel...
> >
> > However it may be desirable in the winter.
>
> There's always folding@home (or whatever distributed computing project
> you prefer) if you need the extra heat ;-).

Which I do indeed run. I have it set so nice processes don't up the
frequency, which provides some balance between curing cancer and cooking
myself in the summer.
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:12 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org