Old 12-09-2008, 08:21 PM
"Jerry James"

Default cpufreq module on x86_64

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg@redhat.com> wrote:
> I suspect what's happening is that acpi-cpufreq is loading and failing
> to bind, and then p4-clockmod gets loaded, fails to bind and the module
> load is aborted.

Thanks to everyone who responded with reasons why I want a cpufreq
module loaded. Matthew, you are absolutely correct. I rebooted with
cpufreq.debug=7 on the boot line and got this in the logs:

acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_init
acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_early_init
cpufreq-core: trying to register driver acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq-core: adding CPU 0
acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
cpufreq-core: initialization failed
cpufreq-core: adding CPU 1
acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
cpufreq-core: initialization failed
cpufreq-core: adding CPU 2
acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
cpufreq-core: initialization failed
cpufreq-core: adding CPU 3
acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
cpufreq-core: initialization failed
cpufreq-core: no CPU initialized for driver acpi-cpufreq
cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 0
cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 1
cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 2
cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 3
cpufreq-core: trying to register driver p4-clockmod
cpufreq-core: adding CPU 0
[snip the rest; I posted it before]

So the "initialization failed" line tells me that this line:

ret = cpufreq_driver->init(policy)

in cpufreq_add_dev() in drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq.c is where things are
going wrong. Is there any way to tell what is going wrong here? Is
this likely to be a BIOS bug? (I just flashed my BIOS to fix 3D
graphics; it wouldn't surprise me if my vendor managed to mess this up
at the same time.)
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/

Old 12-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Jarod Wilson

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 16:21:19 Jerry James wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Matthew Garrett <mjg@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I suspect what's happening is that acpi-cpufreq is loading and failing
> > to bind, and then p4-clockmod gets loaded, fails to bind and the module
> > load is aborted.
>
> Thanks to everyone who responded with reasons why I want a cpufreq
> module loaded. Matthew, you are absolutely correct. I rebooted with
> cpufreq.debug=7 on the boot line and got this in the logs:
>
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_init
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_early_init
> cpufreq-core: trying to register driver acpi-cpufreq
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 0
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
> cpufreq-core: initialization failed
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 1
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
> cpufreq-core: initialization failed
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 2
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
> cpufreq-core: initialization failed
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 3
> acpi-cpufreq: acpi_cpufreq_cpu_init
> cpufreq-core: initialization failed
> cpufreq-core: no CPU initialized for driver acpi-cpufreq
> cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 0
> cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 1
> cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 2
> cpufreq-core: unregistering CPU 3
> cpufreq-core: trying to register driver p4-clockmod
> cpufreq-core: adding CPU 0
> [snip the rest; I posted it before]
>
> So the "initialization failed" line tells me that this line:
>
> ret = cpufreq_driver->init(policy)
>
> in cpufreq_add_dev() in drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq.c is where things are
> going wrong. Is there any way to tell what is going wrong here? Is
> this likely to be a BIOS bug? (I just flashed my BIOS to fix 3D
> graphics; it wouldn't surprise me if my vendor managed to mess this up
> at the same time.)

Yeah, I'd wager its one of two things. Either the vendor screwed something
up w/the acpi tables in this update, or the update also flipped the bios
option for frequency scaling off for some reason. First order of business
would be to poke around in your bios, looking for something having to do
with power savings, EIST, processor scaling, etc. (its called many
different things by different bioses, of course)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod@redhat.com