Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

Default Multiple packages from one tarball and spec file

My questions concerning projects which are from SVN and not tarballs
hasn't yet been answered. Some projects don't release tarballs or
haven't released recent ones (and may not). Are this acceptable in Fedora?

Additionally, I have several packages I am thinking of doing (some of
which I have spec files for already). However, I am displeased with a
few of them that come from one tarball. There are several options
(crm114, dspam, or mailing back-ends for example) for dovecot-antispam.
The problem is, you cannot build one module for dovecot that does them
all, so the module has to be rebuilt with slightly different options and
must conflict with all other dovecot-antispam RPMs. Is possible from one
spec file and tarball? This would require different setup, build,
install and package setups. This is because the same module would be
built for each area, need to be packaged, and then move onto the rest.

Thank you for any help on the first paragraph or the second.

Trever

Old 11-29-2008, 02:51 PM
"Mat Booth"

2008/11/29 Trever L. Adams <trever.adams@gmail.com>:
> My questions concerning projects which are from SVN and not tarballs hasn't
> yet been answered. Some projects don't release tarballs or haven't released
> recent ones (and may not). Are this acceptable in Fedora?

Yes. There are plenty of packages in Fedora built straight from source control.

(My package eclipse-epic does this, for example:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/eclipse-epic/ Take a look
around Fedora's CVS for more examples.)

I believe Jaroslav Reznik implied this was the case by linking to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/SourceURL#Using_Revision_Control

--
Mat Booth
www.matbooth.co.uk

Old 11-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Conrad Meyer

On Saturday 29 November 2008 07:42:50 am Trever L. Adams wrote:
> Additionally, I have several packages I am thinking of doing (some of
> which I have spec files for already). However, I am displeased with a
> few of them that come from one tarball. There are several options
> (crm114, dspam, or mailing back-ends for example) for dovecot-antispam.
> The problem is, you cannot build one module for dovecot that does them
> all, so the module has to be rebuilt with slightly different options and
> must conflict with all other dovecot-antispam RPMs. Is possible from one
> spec file and tarball? This would require different setup, build,
> install and package setups. This is because the same module would be
> built for each area, need to be packaged, and then move onto the rest.

Are you suggesting that in order for multiple things to Provide:
dovecot-antispam they need to come from the same SRPM?

Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 11-30-2008, 11:05 AM
"Trever L. Adams"

Mat Booth wrote:

Yes. There are plenty of packages in Fedora built straight from source control.

(My package eclipse-epic does this, for example:
http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/eclipse-epic/ Take a look
around Fedora's CVS for more examples.)

I believe Jaroslav Reznik implied this was the case by linking to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/SourceURL#Using_Revision_Control

Thank you. I will definitely look at your spec files and the link provided.

Many thanks,
Trever

Old 12-18-2008, 07:25 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

Conrad Meyer wrote:

Additionally, I have several packages I am thinking of doing (some of
which I have spec files for already). However, I am displeased with a
few of them that come from one tarball. There are several options
(crm114, dspam, or mailing back-ends for example) for dovecot-antispam.
The problem is, you cannot build one module for dovecot that does them
all, so the module has to be rebuilt with slightly different options and
must conflict with all other dovecot-antispam RPMs. Is possible from one
spec file and tarball? This would require different setup, build,
install and package setups. This is because the same module would be
built for each area, need to be packaged, and then move onto the rest.

Are you suggesting that in order for multiple things to Provide:
dovecot-antispam they need to come from the same SRPM?

Regards,

Sorry for not responding quickly. This email disappeared. The problem I
have is that dovecot-antispam has to be built specifically for each of
the three or four ways it works. (Being: crm114, dspam, mail forward and
some signature thing.)

Instead of having four SRPMs which are identical other than just a few
configuration lines and SPEC file changes, is it possible to build all
four from one SRPM or at least from one tarball?

Thank you,
Trever

Old 12-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Trever L. Adams wrote:
> Conrad Meyer wrote:
>> On Saturday 29 November 2008 07:42:50 am Trever L. Adams wrote:
>>
>>> Additionally, I have several packages I am thinking of doing (some of
>>> which I have spec files for already). However, I am displeased with a
>>> few of them that come from one tarball. There are several options
>>> (crm114, dspam, or mailing back-ends for example) for dovecot-antispam.
>>> The problem is, you cannot build one module for dovecot that does them
>>> all, so the module has to be rebuilt with slightly different options and
>>> must conflict with all other dovecot-antispam RPMs. Is possible from one
>>> spec file and tarball? This would require different setup, build,
>>> install and package setups. This is because the same module would be
>>> built for each area, need to be packaged, and then move onto the rest.
>>>

>> Are you suggesting that in order for multiple things to Provide:
>> dovecot-antispam they need to come from the same SRPM?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
> Sorry for not responding quickly. This email disappeared. The problem I
> have is that dovecot-antispam has to be built specifically for each of
> the three or four ways it works. (Being: crm114, dspam, mail forward and
> some signature thing.)
>
> Instead of having four SRPMs which are identical other than just a few
> configuration lines and SPEC file changes, is it possible to build all
> four from one SRPM or at least from one tarball?

Yes.

I believe the vim package does this to generate the vim-minimal (with
/bin/vi) and vim-enhanced (with /usr/bin/vim).

-Toshio

Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

Yes.
I believe the vim package does this to generate the vim-minimal (with
/bin/vi) and vim-enhanced (with /usr/bin/vim).

-Toshio

Toshio,

Again, thank you. This turned out to be exactly what I needed. I have
now rebuilt my packages from one source tree.

Trever