-   -   Before I do something silly, can someone give me some advice on an lvm partition? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/202035-before-i-do-something-silly-can-someone-give-me-some-advice-lvm-partition.html)

Matej Cepl 11-29-2008 12:37 PM

On 2008-11-29, 11:07 GMT, Paul wrote:
> I have a 149Gb lvm partition on /dev/sda2. I've no idea what's
> in there.
> My /home directory is on a different drive. /dev/sda1 has the OS on it
> (it's 200Mb). I have a feeling that the likes of /usr and /var are on
> the lvm partition. Is there anything I can use to check this?

What's wrong with

mkdir /mnt/test-partition
mount /dev/mapper/<partition> /mnt/test-partition

and then take a look? (maybe mount --bind maybe in order, if the
partition is mounted somewhere else)

Matěj

Thomas M Steenholdt 11-29-2008 03:17 PM

Before I do something silly, can someone give me some advice on an lvm partition?

Paul wrote:

Hi,

I have a 149Gb lvm partition on /dev/sda2. I've no idea what's in there.
My /home directory is on a different drive. /dev/sda1 has the OS on it
(it's 200Mb). I have a feeling that the likes of /usr and /var are on
the lvm partition. Is there anything I can use to check this?

TTFN

Paul

You need to check your mountpoints "mount" and/or "cat /etc/fstab"...
The "OS" on /dev/sda1 is most likely just your /boot partition. /,
<swap> and such are most likely on logical volumes within the lvm partition.

Hope this helps.

/Thomas