Old 11-27-2008, 12:06 PM
"Bryn M. Reeves"

Default PulseAudio info needed

Anne Wilson wrote:
There is a lot of FUD and general mistrust of PA. It seems to me that it
would help a great deal if someone would write a short statement about what PA
is and how it should work. If there is known readable references, they would
help too, as would noting any known work-arounds for problem.

It would be a great help to those of us who try to give user support. I'd
even put it on my own web space and direct folk to it, if that would help.

There's a lot of good information on the PulseAudio project pages
themselves:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FirstSteps
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FAQ

Maybe someone would be interested in summarising some of this and adding
Fedora-specifics on the Fedora wiki to make it a bit less intimidating
for novice users?

Regards,
Bryn.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:33 PM
"Peter Lemenkov"

2008/11/27 Bryn M. Reeves <bmr@redhat.com>:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>
>> There is a lot of FUD and general mistrust of PA. It seems to me that it
>> would help a great deal if someone would write a short statement about what
>> PA is and how it should work. If there is known readable references, they
>> would help too, as would noting any known work-arounds for problem.
>>
>> It would be a great help to those of us who try to give user support. I'd
>> even put it on my own web space and direct folk to it, if that would help.
>
> There's a lot of good information on the PulseAudio project pages
> themselves:
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FirstSteps
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FAQ
>
> Maybe someone would be interested in summarising some of this and adding
> Fedora-specifics on the Fedora wiki to make it a bit less intimidating for
> novice users?

My advice to all novices is to remove pulseaudio (as yet, it's still
possible to remove almost completely this useless and buggy
component). I wonder how it was decided (and whom) to push in as a
default soundsystem?

Most amazing feature of F-10 is "glitch-free sound with PulseAudio".
Just think about - it's 2008 (almost 2009), and Fedora finally
promises that its default soundserver would sometimes works.

The most obscure part of PulseAudio story (except numerous "help!
pulseaudio doesn't work for me" posts in various russian linux forums)
is how it was chosen among other stable and mature alternatives. I
really don't understant it.

We got some soundservers already - namely, JACK, NAS, MAS (which was
developed under Freedesktop umbrella) and even ALSA native interface,
but someone choose solution which (even after long period of
development) still not ready for daily work and does not provide any
significant benefit to user even in long-term perspective.

--
With best regards!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:09 PM
"Paulo Cavalcanti"

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov@gmail.com> wrote:

2008/11/27 Bryn M. Reeves <bmr@redhat.com>:

> Anne Wilson wrote:

>> There is a lot of FUD and general mistrust of PA. *It seems to me that it

>> would help a great deal if someone would write a short statement about what

>> PA is and how it should work. *If there is known readable references, they

>> would help too, as would noting any known work-arounds for problem.

>> It would be a great help to those of us who try to give user support. *I'd

>> even put it on my own web space and direct folk to it, if that would help.

> There's a lot of good information on the PulseAudio project pages

> themselves:

> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio

> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FirstSteps

> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FAQ

> Maybe someone would be interested in summarising some of this and adding

> Fedora-specifics on the Fedora wiki to make it a bit less intimidating for

> novice users?

My advice to all novices is to remove pulseaudio (as yet, it's still

possible to remove almost completely this useless and buggy

component). I wonder how it was decided (and whom) to push in as a

default soundsystem?

Most amazing feature of F-10 is "glitch-free sound with PulseAudio".

Just think about - it's 2008 (almost 2009), and Fedora finally

promises that its default soundserver would sometimes works.

The most obscure part of PulseAudio story (except numerous "help!

pulseaudio doesn't work for me" posts in various russian linux forums)

is how it was chosen among other stable and mature alternatives. I

really don't understant it.

We got some soundservers already - namely, JACK, NAS, MAS (which was

developed under Freedesktop umbrella) and even ALSA native interface,

but someone choose solution which (even after long period of

development) still not ready for daily work and does not provide any

significant benefit to user even in long-term perspective.

I disagree. I am running Fedora 10 installed on a 8GB USB stick,
and my two sound cards were detected and can be controlled
via pulse audio. Speakers connected to the onboard soundcard

and headphones to an additional PCI card.

Literally, zero work.* mplayer, vlc, mpg123, gnormalize,
everything working. I can switch the sound from one card to
the other on the fly.

I must confess I know very little about alsa, but this time

I did not have to do anything at all. modprobe.conf
is empty and no .asoundrc

In fact, pulseaudio is one of the components that never gave any trouble.
On the other hand, things like compiz are a nightmare to configure, but

a lot of people seem to like it.

Everything depends on the referencial ...

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

Old 11-28-2008, 02:14 PM
drago01

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov@gmail.com> wrote:

> We got some soundservers already - namely, JACK, NAS, MAS (which was
> developed under Freedesktop umbrella) and even ALSA native interface,
> but someone choose solution which (even after long period of
> development) still not ready for daily work and does not provide any
> significant benefit to user even in long-term perspective.

Per stream/app volume control, audio device hotplug, networked sound,
combined output on multiple soundcards, moving streams between
devices,....

Old 11-28-2008, 02:14 PM
"Peter Lemenkov"

2008/11/28, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac@gmail.com>:
> I disagree. I am running Fedora 10 installed on a 8GB USB stick,
> and my two sound cards were detected and can be controlled
> via pulse audio. Speakers connected to the onboard soundcard
> and headphones to an additional PCI card.

That definitely looks like the special case. I still don't see why it
should be the default audio server for the majority of users.

--
With best regards!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:28 PM
"Peter Lemenkov"

2008/11/28, drago01 <drago01@gmail.com>:

> Per stream/app volume control, audio device hotplug, networked sound,
> combined output on multiple soundcards, moving streams between
> devices,....

No need to repeat again and again those advertisments.

And, again - that's not a majority of use cases. If someone would play
in funny games with routing mediastreams back and forth, he should use
its own distro, not a community's one.

BTW you should learn someting about those stable and mature
soundservers before replying to me - networked sound and combined
output were already implemented years ago.

--
With best regards!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:48 PM
drago01

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/28, drago01 <drago01@gmail.com>:
>
>> Per stream/app volume control, audio device hotplug, networked sound,
>> combined output on multiple soundcards, moving streams between
>> devices,....
>
> No need to repeat again and again those advertisments.
>
> And, again - that's not a majority of use cases. If someone would play
> in funny games with routing mediastreams back and forth, he should use
> its own distro, not a community's one.

For example device hotplug is something that people expect from a
modern operating system.

> BTW you should learn someting about those stable and mature
> soundservers before replying to me - networked sound and combined
> output were already implemented years ago.

they support a subset of what pa is doing besides they have a
different goal than pa (pa isn't "just another sound server")

btw you are trying to solve the problem in the wrong way:
"app A has bugs, don't ship it" vs "app A has bugs, find the causes
and fix them"

Old 11-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Matej Cepl

On 2008-11-28, 15:28 GMT, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> And, again - that's not a majority of use cases. If someone
> would play in funny games with routing mediastreams back and
> forth, he should use its own distro, not a community's one.

Actually, I do switch between headphones and speakers all the
time and I found it pretty useful.

Matěj

Old 11-28-2008, 07:44 PM
"Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski"

On Friday, 28 November 2008 at 19:52, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-11-28, 15:28 GMT, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> > And, again - that's not a majority of use cases. If someone
> > would play in funny games with routing mediastreams back and
> > forth, he should use its own distro, not a community's one.
>
> Actually, I do switch between headphones and speakers all the
> time and I found it pretty useful.

I don't know about your setup, but both my stereo and my laptop
disable the speakers when I plug in the headphones. I don't know
where PulseAudio comes in here.

Regards,
R.

"Faith manages."

Old 11-28-2008, 08:35 PM
drago01

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 9:44 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@greysector.net> wrote:
> On Friday, 28 November 2008 at 19:52, Matej Cepl wrote:
>> On 2008-11-28, 15:28 GMT, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
>> > And, again - that's not a majority of use cases. If someone
>> > would play in funny games with routing mediastreams back and
>> > forth, he should use its own distro, not a community's one.
>>
>> Actually, I do switch between headphones and speakers all the
>> time and I found it pretty useful.
>
> I don't know about your setup, but both my stereo and my laptop
> disable the speakers when I plug in the headphones. I don't know
> where PulseAudio comes in here.

if you are using usb or bluetooth* headphones you need pa for
hotplugging to work.

* should work but I never tested it, usb works fine