Old 11-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Christoph Höger

Default Feature proposal: Community Translation Tool

Hi,

did you ever want to use fedora in your own Non-English language and saw
strings which where simple to translate floating around untranslated?
I did. The best example is packagekit-gui's update dialog which has a
'review' button which was translated into german for f10, but remained
untranslated in f9 although it was really easy to do.
Why did I not contact upstream/fedora bz with a translation? Well, look
how translation works for such simple strings (and normal users):

1. find out which package that string belongs to
2. download the source (and figure out how to do that)
3. edit that translation file in that weird format with that weird tool
and create a thing called a "patch"
4. send that patch to bz (have a registered account!)

The point is: Joe Average User will not even consider doing that! If he
considers creating a bz account he can read english and will not have a
very big problem understanding some untranslated strings here and
there.
I would like to make that process automagic by providing
a) a simple app that allows users to make a "one string" contribution
b) write a backend, that would store all proposals and update all .po
files fedora has on a regular basis and send the generated patches
upstream or to a fedora translator.

Those tools could be integrated in a way that users could poll on
translations on a "yeah, that sounds good" basis if there already exists
a translation. Also the client could be offered/configured based on the
locale selected at install time.

Any ideas why that should not work / starting points to implement?

Christoph

Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Kevin Kofler

Christoph Höger wrote:
> I would like to make that process automagic by providing
> a) a simple app that allows users to make a "one string" contribution
> b) write a backend, that would store all proposals and update all .po
> files fedora has on a regular basis and send the generated patches
> upstream or to a fedora translator.

Isn't that what Transifex is about?

Kevin Kofler

Old 11-26-2008, 11:13 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:55:04AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Christoph Höger wrote:
> > I would like to make that process automagic by providing
> > a) a simple app that allows users to make a "one string" contribution
> > b) write a backend, that would store all proposals and update all .po
> > files fedora has on a regular basis and send the generated patches
> > upstream or to a fedora translator.
>
> Isn't that what Transifex is about?

Transifex is indeed all about making translations easier to
contribute. It also has a command-line client and libraries under
development, so it would be completely plausible for someone to write
a "l10n-buddy" that could be pointed at a GUI to enable one-off
translations, and have them transmitted to transifex for filing in the
upstream repository.

Christoph, you should absolutely get in touch with the Transifex
developers for more information and to volunteer to help with this
piece. cc'ing Dimitris for good measure.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Michael Stone

Christoph Höger wrote:
> I would like to make that process automagic by providing
> a) a simple app that allows users to make a "one string" contribution
> b) write a backend, that would store all proposals and update all .po
> files fedora has on a regular basis and send the generated patches
> upstream or to a fedora translator.

Isn't that what Transifex is about?

Transifex is indeed all about making translations easier to
contribute. It also has a command-line client and libraries under
development, so it would be completely plausible for someone to write
a "l10n-buddy" that could be pointed at a GUI to enable one-off
translations, and have them transmitted to transifex for filing in the
upstream repository.

Christoph, you should absolutely get in touch with the Transifex
developers for more information and to volunteer to help with this
piece. cc'ing Dimitris for good measure.

Enabling better translation workflows, especially for people who are
only locally connected (i.e. who participate in local networks but who
have no regular internet access) is a big deal for OLPC/SugarLabs
because we're obligated by our mission to bring our software to people
in regions with many languages and to empower those people, as best we
can, to adapt our software to suit their needs.

To this end, Scott Ananian gave a talk on a 'click to translate' [1, 2]
technology that he has prototyped for us at last week's SugarCamp [3].
This technology and the ideas underlying it may be of particular
interesting to readers of this thread.

Regards,

Michael

[1]: http://sugarlabs.org/wiki/images/0/00/Sugarcamp-cscott-i18n.pdf
[2]: http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/cscott/click2trans
[3]: http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugarcamp

Old 12-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Karsten Wade

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:38:34AM +0100, Christoph Höger wrote:

> Those tools could be integrated in a way that users could poll on
> translations on a "yeah, that sounds good" basis if there already exists
> a translation. Also the client could be offered/configured based on the
> locale selected at install time.
>
> Any ideas why that should not work / starting points to implement?

Make sure that the steps include having the user's contribution under
the CLA. This might be as simple as a click-through agreement, but is
essential.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41