Old 11-26-2008, 10:32 PM
"Nathanael D. Noblet"

Default Fedora 10 and YUM

Casey Dahlin wrote:
You have the adobe flash repo installed, and its down, so yum is failing
to connect to it. Try with --disablerepo=adobe until their systems get
sorted.

That would be a great plugin... Repo is down... continue with it
disabled? [y/n]

Just a thought... Not that I could program it. But its happened to me
before that I had to do that, so automatically doing it or asking me
would be awesome.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
Gnat Solutions, Inc

Old 11-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Christian Iseli

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:11:50 -0500, Mark Bidewell wrote:
> Downloading Packages:
> http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release.i386.rpm:
> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
> Trying other mirror.
>

> Error Downloading Packages:
> flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release.i386: failure:
> flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release.i386.rpm from adobe-linux-i386:
> [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
>
> pasting:
> http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release.i386.rpminto
> firefox downloads the file without issue.
>
> Is this a known issue with YUM?

FWIW I have a similar issue which seems to be due to some sort of DNS
lookup problem. In my case I'd get the 'Name or service not known' for
download1.rpmfusion.org.

My /etc/nsswitch.conf file says to use files and dns

The /etc/resolv.conf is setup properly

I tried disabling ipv6 completely but the symptoms stay the same

ping and firefox seem to resolve the addresses correctly, but wget and
ssh do not

The failures occur for only some sites (like linuxdownload.adobe.com
and download1.rpmfusion.org) but do not occur with others
(like download.fedoraproject.org iirc). The failures consistently
occur for the same sites

Putting the IP addresses in /etc/hosts "works around" the problem

No idea what's going on...

Cheers,
Christian

Old 11-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Christian Iseli

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 18:18:42 -0500, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> > pasting:
> > http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release.i386.rpm
> > into firefox downloads the file without issue.
> >
> > Is this a known issue with YUM?
> >
> > Mark Bidewell
> You have the adobe flash repo installed, and its down, so yum is
> failing to connect to it. Try with --disablerepo=adobe until their
> systems get sorted.

No, reread what the OP said: "pasting: <url> into firefox downloads the
file without issue".

This is not a "site is down" issue...

Old 11-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Seth Vidal

My /etc/nsswitch.conf file says to use files and dns

The /etc/resolv.conf is setup properly

I tried disabling ipv6 completely but the symptoms stay the same

ping and firefox seem to resolve the addresses correctly, but wget and
ssh do not

The failures occur for only some sites (like linuxdownload.adobe.com
and download1.rpmfusion.org) but do not occur with others
(like download.fedoraproject.org iirc). The failures consistently
occur for the same sites

Putting the IP addresses in /etc/hosts "works around" the problem

No idea what's going on...

1. Do you have any proxies setup?
2. What are the nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf?

-sv

Old 11-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Christian Iseli

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 00:42:28 -0500 (EST), Seth Vidal wrote:
> 1. Do you have any proxies setup?

no

> 2. What are the nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf?

Just my home ADSL router (192.168.1.1)

I used dhclient to obtain an IP address, and it also setup
the /etc/resolv.conf file.

I have another Fedora 8 box connected to the same router, and there are
no DNS problems there.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Seth Vidal

2. What are the nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf?

Just my home ADSL router (192.168.1.1)

I used dhclient to obtain an IP address, and it also setup
the /etc/resolv.conf file.

I have another Fedora 8 box connected to the same router, and there are
no DNS problems there.

Did these problems magically go away recently?

-sv

Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Tim Niemueller

Seth Vidal schrieb:

>> I have another Fedora 8 box connected to the same router, and there are
>> no DNS problems there.
>
> Did these problems magically go away recently?

Not for me. I had a similar problem yesterday on a "svn up". Trying a
second time immediately afterwards worked. Has happened a few times
since F-10 upgrade.

Tim

--
Tim Niemueller <tim@niemueller.de> www.niemueller.de

Old 12-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Seth Vidal

I have another Fedora 8 box connected to the same router, and there are
no DNS problems there.

Did these problems magically go away recently?

Not for me. I had a similar problem yesterday on a "svn up". Trying a
second time immediately afterwards worked. Has happened a few times
since F-10 upgrade.

What does 'svn up' have to do with yum?

-sv

Old 12-04-2008, 12:48 PM
"Mark Bidewell"

* * * * * * * * * *C

Did these problems magically go away recently?

Not for me. I had a similar problem yesterday on a "svn up". Trying a

second time immediately afterwards worked. Has happened a few times

since F-10 upgrade.

What does 'svn up' have to do with yum?

-sv

After using F10 for a longer time, I believe that the issue might be a more general DNS issue than just YUM.* I have been getting more failed lookups under F10 than under Windows or F9.

Mark Bidewell

Old 12-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Gary Thomas

Mark Bidewell wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org
> <mailto:skvidal@fedoraproject.org>> wrote:
>

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Tim Niemueller wrote:
>
> Seth Vidal schrieb:
>

> I have another Fedora 8 box connected to the same
> router, and there are
> no DNS problems there.
>

> Did these problems magically go away recently?
>

> Not for me. I had a similar problem yesterday on a "svn up".
> Trying a
> second time immediately afterwards worked. Has happened a few times
> since F-10 upgrade.
>

> What does 'svn up' have to do with yum?
>
> -sv

> After using F10 for a longer time, I believe that the issue might be a
> more general DNS issue than just YUM. I have been getting more failed
> lookups under F10 than under Windows or F9.

I noticed this as well. I just updated my WiFi-only laptop (full install)
to Fedora 10. Doing something as simple as 'yum update' now fails with
tons of DNS lookup failures. Very odd because I'm using a repository mirror
(baseurl) to a machine in the next room :-( Retries give similar, but different,
failures.