Old 11-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Steve Grubb

Default No way to shut down from, gdm in F-10

Hi,

I booted F-10 up into run level 3. Logged in as root. Did some things and ran
init 5. After I was done using the computer, I wanted to shut it down. There
is absolutely nothing that I can click on that will let me shutdown the
computer. (Try it.) What I ended up doing is logging in and opening a terminal
and typing poweroff, but I don't think that is the right way for a gdm session
to end.

Why are we doing it like this?

-Steve

Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Seth Vidal

I booted F-10 up into run level 3. Logged in as root. Did some things and ran
init 5. After I was done using the computer, I wanted to shut it down. There
is absolutely nothing that I can click on that will let me shutdown the
computer. (Try it.) What I ended up doing is logging in and opening a terminal
and typing poweroff, but I don't think that is the right way for a gdm session
to end.

Why are we doing it like this?

The restart/shutdown buttons aren't at the bottom of the login box in gdm?

-sv

Old 11-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Bill Nottingham

Steve Grubb (sgrubb@redhat.com) said:
> I booted F-10 up into run level 3. Logged in as root. Did some things and ran
> init 5. After I was done using the computer, I wanted to shut it down. There
> is absolutely nothing that I can click on that will let me shutdown the
> computer. (Try it.) What I ended up doing is logging in and opening a terminal
> and typing poweroff, but I don't think that is the right way for a gdm session
> to end.
>
> Why are we doing it like this?

It's handled via ConsoleKit - is it running? Is it functioning correctly?

Bill

Old 11-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 15:32 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
> I booted F-10 up into run level 3. Logged in as root. Did some things and ran
> init 5. After I was done using the computer, I wanted to shut it down. There
> is absolutely nothing that I can click on that will let me shutdown the
> computer.

Did you try cancelling the login?

Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Steve Grubb

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 15:44:47 Seth Vidal wrote:
> > I booted F-10 up into run level 3. Logged in as root. Did some things and
> > ran init 5. After I was done using the computer, I wanted to shut it
> > down. There is absolutely nothing that I can click on that will let me
> > shutdown the computer. (Try it.) What I ended up doing is logging in and
> > opening a terminal and typing poweroff, but I don't think that is the
> > right way for a gdm session to end.
> >
> > Why are we doing it like this?
>
> The restart/shutdown buttons aren't at the bottom of the login box in gdm?

Yep they sure are. Clicking on it says it can't shutdown. Try it.

-Steve

Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Steve Grubb

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 15:52:53 Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Why are we doing it like this?
>
> It's handled via ConsoleKit - is it running? Is it functioning correctly?

I believe its running. But gdm now has no way of shutting down if you log in
and type init 5. If you boot to run level 5 its OK.

-Steve

Old 11-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Seth Vidal

I booted F-10 up into run level 3. Logged in as root. Did some things and
ran init 5. After I was done using the computer, I wanted to shut it
down. There is absolutely nothing that I can click on that will let me
shutdown the computer. (Try it.) What I ended up doing is logging in and
opening a terminal and typing poweroff, but I don't think that is the
right way for a gdm session to end.

Why are we doing it like this?

The restart/shutdown buttons aren't at the bottom of the login box in gdm?

Yep they sure are. Clicking on it says it can't shutdown. Try it.

worked for me on the live image.

-sv

Old 11-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Steve Grubb

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 16:56:34 Seth Vidal wrote:

> >> The restart/shutdown buttons aren't at the bottom of the login box in
> >> gdm?
> >
> > Yep they sure are. Clicking on it says it can't shutdown. Try it.
>
> worked for me on the live image.

Hmm...this is strange and I can't reproduce it now. Shutting down dumped me to
the gdm login screen. Nothing there would let me shutdown. There were buttons
to click on, but it said that it couldn't when I clicked on things. Next time
I see this I'll try to gather more info.

-Steve

Old 11-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Tim Niemueller

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams schrieb:
> On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 15:32 -0500, Steve Grubb wrote:
>> I booted F-10 up into run level 3. Logged in as root. Did some things and ran
>> init 5. After I was done using the computer, I wanted to shut it down. There
>> is absolutely nothing that I can click on that will let me shutdown the
>> computer.
>
> Did you try cancelling the login?

That's required on boxes that have the user list disabled to get the
buttons at all. They should probably be buttons in the status panel.

Tim

--
Tim Niemueller <tim@niemueller.de> www.niemueller.de

Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Bill Nottingham

Steve Grubb (sgrubb@redhat.com) said:
> On Wednesday 26 November 2008 15:52:53 Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > > Why are we doing it like this?
> >
> > It's handled via ConsoleKit - is it running? Is it functioning correctly?
>
> I believe its running. But gdm now has no way of shutting down if you log in
> and type init 5. If you boot to run level 5 its OK.

Was both your console login and gdm on the same tty?

Bill