Old 11-26-2008, 05:14 PM

Default libdvdcss - where did it go?

I cannot play dvd's without libdvdcss, and when I searched for it in the repos it did not show up. Is this packaged abandoned, or has it been replaced by something else? If it was replaced, totem still has a window that pops up informing the user that they need to install libdvdcss to play dvds.

FYI I am using Fedora 10.

Brad Longo

Tis the season to save your money! Get the new AOL Holiday Toolbar for money saving offers and gift ideas.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Jochen Schmitt

Old 11-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Rex Dieter

Old 11-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Orcan Ogetbil

--- On Wed, 11/26/08, Jochen Schmitt wrote:

> Rex Dieter schrieb:
> > 2.) AFAIK RPMFusion has decided not th
> distribute
> > libdvdcss based on legal issues.
> >
> > everything else has gone to rpmfusion.
> >
> Yes I have prefered if libdvdcss were gone into non-free of
> rpmfusion.

Yes, many people do too, and many people don't. To follow the heated discussions, please visit the mailing list archives of rpmfusion.

-oget

Old 11-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 19:34:13 +0100,
Jochen Schmitt <Jochen@herr-schmitt.de> wrote:
> Yes I have prefered if libdvdcss were gone into non-free of rpmfusion.
> But if
> livna will still exist in the future thats is a acceptable solution.

The problem isn't its freeness, but rather it is a DMCA violation to provide
it in the US. RPMFusion has US based mirrors, so including it would be a
problem for them.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Conrad Meyer

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 12:22:24 pm Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 19:34:13 +0100,
>
> Jochen Schmitt <Jochen@herr-schmitt.de> wrote:
> > Yes I have prefered if libdvdcss were gone into non-free of rpmfusion.
> > But if
> > livna will still exist in the future thats is a acceptable solution.
>
> The problem isn't its freeness, but rather it is a DMCA violation to
> provide it in the US. RPMFusion has US based mirrors, so including it would
> be a problem for them.

So did Livna but that didn't exactly stop them. The problem is that including
it loses RPM Fusion some free promotion and so they've chosen to tell users
to get the rpm from somewhere else if they need it (for example, Livna still
has it).

Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 11-26-2008, 07:38 PM
"Peter Lemenkov"

> Yes I have prefered if libdvdcss were gone into non-free of rpmfusion.

There is no reason to move libdvdcss into rpmfusion-non-free.

* It's opensourced
* It's freely distributable

--
With best regards!

Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 11:38:02PM +0300, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> > Yes I have prefered if libdvdcss were gone into non-free of rpmfusion.
>
> There is no reason to move libdvdcss into rpmfusion-non-free.
>
> * It's opensourced
> * It's freely distributable

This is not the forum to discuss issues with rpmfusion. They have
their own mailing lists for this, and archives where you can see all
the discussion that's happened in the past.