Old 11-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Patrice Dumas

Default shortening time passed in bodhi?

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 08:42:38PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Only on the master download server. For the world-wide mirrors (and their
> users), it still won't be instantaneous. Unless you create a system
> where the master can call back to mirrors and request them to sync.

I was only referring to the time between push to stable and repo ready
with package in it.

> I see the benefit of being able to publish [security] updates quickly
> (such as with the old extras/epel scripts, although the createrepo time
> added up there, too), but the more packagers push pkgs instantly, the more
> often the master repo (and the metadata) changes, and the more quickly the
> entire distribution moves under the feet of our users. I don't think it is
> a good idea to do that. A queue that controls the flow of non-security
> packages creates less mirroring chaos.

At the same time it may add time when an urgent update arrives and a
large queue of non urgent updates is being composed.

--
Pat

Old 11-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Jesse Keating

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 23:26 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:

> At the same time it may add time when an urgent update arrives and a
> large queue of non urgent updates is being composed.

The compose time doesn't necessarily get quicker if there are less
updates being pushed in that particular update. The repos are created
from scratch each time an updates push is done. This ensures we get all
the right pieces of new updates and remove pieces of old updates and get
a fresh calculation of multilib. A compose of 10 new updates will take
roughly the same amount of time as a compose of 50 new updates.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 11-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Kevin Kofler

Jesse Keating wrote:
> The compose time doesn't necessarily get quicker if there are less
> updates being pushed in that particular update. The repos are created
> from scratch each time an updates push is done.

But isn't there a potential to cut down the time significantly there, by
using createrepo --update?

Kevin Kofler

Old 11-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Jesse Keating

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 01:04 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> But isn't there a potential to cut down the time significantly there, by
> using createrepo --update?

--update is used in some parts, but even that requires a stat of every
file to make sure the file itself hasn't changed. Also, coding into
mash where to look at for repodata to update for the initial run has
been... challenging.

It may cut the time down from 6 hours to 4~ hours, but we're still not
likely to do more than one push a day so it's not a super high priority
to make this faster.