Old 11-26-2008, 10:53 AM
Kulbir Saini

Default New users confused about Spins' Names

Hi list,

Yesterday, I posted a blog entry[1] about Fedora 10 Release on my
blog and mentioned the Fedora 10 Spins availability with link to Fedora
Project page[2]. I have received a comment[3] which says,

"I might be interested in some of the spins, but it's hard to tell.
The names contain acronyms, and the description simply repeats the
acronym. Unless I recognize what that acronym is, the name is useless.
What's FEL, AOS or broffice? XFCE is the only one I know, though others
might not even know that.

Since the table has a description field for each spin, why not (at
least) expand the acronyms so folks have a clue as to whether or not it
might be useful? Even better, a link to a page describing the spin in
more detail. If it's worth the time and effort to create, it should be
worth the time it takes to write a paragraph describing it."

Well, I also got confused by the acronyms, but quick googling
suggested the Fedora Project Wiki already has pages describing the
acronyms in details. I request people maintaining the spins to link the
description to their respective wiki pages.

[1] http://fedora.co.in/content/fedora-10-cambridge-released
[2] http://spins.fedoraproject.org/
[3] http://fedora.co.in/content/fedora-10-cambridge-released#comment-573

Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Project : http://cachevideos.com/
My Web-Blog: http://fedora.co.in/

IRC nick : generalBordeaux
Channels : #fedora, #fedora-devel, #yum on freenode

believed to be clean.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Nicu Buculei

Kulbir Saini wrote:
Well, I also got confused by the acronyms, but quick googling
suggested the Fedora Project Wiki already has pages describing the
acronyms in details. I request people maintaining the spins to link the
description to their respective wiki pages.

Or better stick to the plan and make the spins page into something
usable and friendly, like those old mockups:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/Spins/Mockups

Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Rex Dieter

Kulbir Saini wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Yesterday, I posted a blog entry[1] about Fedora 10 Release on my
> blog and mentioned the Fedora 10 Spins availability with link to Fedora
> Project page[2]. I have received a comment[3] which says,
>
> "I might be interested in some of the spins, but it's hard to tell.
> The names contain acronyms, and the description simply repeats the
> acronym. Unless I recognize what that acronym is, the name is useless.
> What's FEL, AOS or broffice? XFCE is the only one I know, though others
> might not even know that.

Chitlesh threw this together yesterday:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Spins/10

-- Rex

Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 17:23 +0530, Kulbir Saini wrote:
> Since the table has a description field for each spin, why not (at
> least) expand the acronyms so folks have a clue as to whether or not it
> might be useful? Even better, a link to a page describing the spin in
> more detail. If it's worth the time and effort to create, it should be
> worth the time it takes to write a paragraph describing it."

In my opinion, if the user is driven to the torrent page in the raw,
we've already lost. Fedora is providing resources to compose and host
the spins, but in my opinion it is up to the SIG behind each spin to
take on the advertisement and driving of users to that particular spin.
They best know the content, the audience, etc.. and are best suited to
create page content and advertise it.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom˛ is a feature!

Old 11-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Seth Vidal

Since the table has a description field for each spin, why not (at
least) expand the acronyms so folks have a clue as to whether or not it
might be useful? Even better, a link to a page describing the spin in
more detail. If it's worth the time and effort to create, it should be
worth the time it takes to write a paragraph describing it."

In my opinion, if the user is driven to the torrent page in the raw,
we've already lost. Fedora is providing resources to compose and host
the spins, but in my opinion it is up to the SIG behind each spin to
take on the advertisement and driving of users to that particular spin.
They best know the content, the audience, etc.. and are best suited to
create page content and advertise it.

If I'm a user and I don't know where to go, the reality is, I go to
google.

type in 'fedora torrents' the first hit is torrent.fp.o - so that page
needs to be relatively clear to users.

Saying "We've already lost" doesn't help the reality at all, which is
google directs. Let's work w/i the reality.

-sv

Old 11-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 11:46 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> If I'm a user and I don't know where to go, the reality is, I go to
> google.
>
> type in 'fedora torrents' the first hit is torrent.fp.o - so that page
> needs to be relatively clear to users.
>
> Saying "We've already lost" doesn't help the reality at all, which is
> google directs. Let's work w/i the reality.

Glad we put so much effort into making get.fedoraproject.org so useful.

If people want better descriptions for the spins, the spin owners are
going to have to provide those as part of the feature process to become
a hosted spin for a release. The amount of feedback and interaction
between spin owners and releng when composing the spins, and feedback
after spins went live for beta/preview/etc.. was appallingly
non-existent in most cases.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Bryan Kearney

Jesse Keating wrote:

If I'm a user and I don't know where to go, the reality is, I go to
google.

type in 'fedora torrents' the first hit is torrent.fp.o - so that page
needs to be relatively clear to users.

Saying "We've already lost" doesn't help the reality at all, which is
google directs. Let's work w/i the reality.

Glad we put so much effort into making get.fedoraproject.org so useful.

If people want better descriptions for the spins, the spin owners are
going to have to provide those as part of the feature process to become
a hosted spin for a release. The amount of feedback and interaction
between spin owners and releng when composing the spins, and feedback
after spins went live for beta/preview/etc.. was appallingly
non-existent in most cases.

Is the goal to add a better description on the torrents page, or have
the get.fedoraproject.org "See all custom Spins" redirect to some place
else? I would assume the latter.

-- bk

Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 09:01 -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Is the goal to add a better description on the torrents page, or have
> the get.fedoraproject.org "See all custom Spins" redirect to some place
> else? I would assume the latter.

I would assume the latter as well, a list of each spin and a link to a
site for that spin. I think that's the concept that Mo worked up at
last FUDCon.