Old 11-26-2008, 03:41 AM
"lakshmi pathi"

Default Question on inode - Ext3 FS

I have noticed that whenever you edit a file content,a new inode
number is assigned with the File.
But Sometime file changes the inode number,Sometimes it remains as older inode.

Can anyone please let know the concept behind this - modifing content
changes the file's inode but not all the time?

I'm using Fedora 7 with ext3 file system. (Kernel : 2.6.25.4)

Cheers,
Lakshmipathi.G

Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 AM
David Woodhouse

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 10:11 +0530, lakshmi pathi wrote:
> I have noticed that whenever you edit a file content,a new inode
> number is assigned with the File.
> But Sometime file changes the inode number,Sometimes it remains as older inode.
>
> Can anyone please let know the concept behind this - modifing content
> changes the file's inode but not all the time?

It depends on your editor. If it just truncates and overwrites the
existing file, the inode number will be the same. If it writes a new
file and then renames it over the old one, it'll get a new inode number.

[dwmw2@macbook ~]$ ls -i foo.c
2506954 foo.c
[dwmw2@macbook ~]$ nano foo.c
[dwmw2@macbook ~]$ ls -i foo.c
2506954 foo.c
[dwmw2@macbook ~]$ emacs foo.c
[dwmw2@macbook ~]$ ls -i foo.c
2506950 foo.c
[dwmw2@macbook ~]$

--
dwmw2

Old 11-26-2008, 04:19 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:41 PM, lakshmi pathi
<lakshmipathi.g@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using Fedora 7 with ext3 file system. (Kernel : 2.6.25.4)

Also, as a public service announcement, I'm obligated to remind you
that Fedora 7 is no longer maintained and will not receive updates,
even security fixes. Therefore, I'd urge you to upgrade to Fedora 10
ASAP, or at least Fedora 9.