Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Flash trouble on F10 / VESA

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 07:57:25PM +0200, Mikko Huhtala wrote:

> I've an up-to-date F10 installation on an old laptop with a very poor
> graphics card. lspci says
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. VT8375 [ProSavage8 KM266/KL266]
>
> Xorg uses the Savage driver with DRI. I've configured X to run at 16
> bit color depth, otherwise a lot of things, especially playing video,
> become painfully slow.
>
> For some reason Flash refuses to work at all. I've tried both Adobe's
> flash-plugin package and gnash (all 32 bit). Flash elements appear as
> blank boxes on web pages in Firefox and X uses 100% of CPU trying to
> do something, but the Flash animation/video never appears. Both
> flash-plugin and gnash do work on another machine that has Nvidia
> drivers and the same versions of all the other relevant packages. Is
> this a know problem?
>
> Packages:
> kernel-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686
> xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.5.3-5.fc10.i386
> xorg-x11-drv-savage-2.2.0-2.fc9.i386
> firefox-3.0.4-1.fc10.i386
> flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release.i386

Have you tried the instructions on this wiki page?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash

I would suggest that if that page doesn't solve your problems, you
should try posting to our specific user assistance list for best
results:

Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Mikko Huhtala

> Have you tried the instructions on this wiki page?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash
>
> I would suggest that if that page doesn't solve your problems, you
> should try posting to our specific user assistance list for best
> results:

I can install both flash-plugin and gnash-plugin and get them to
appear in aboutlugins with no problems. It seems to me that both
somehow interact poorly with the Savage driver, because either works
on other machines that have other graphics hardware/driver, that's
all. Playing video with mplayer works on the Savage-equipped laptop,
so the problem is not triggered by video outside the browser. I'll try
a couple of things still and then submit a bug report if I can't get
it to work.

Mikko