FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 PM
"Trever L. Adams"
 
Default Software without tarballs (SVN or CVS only)

Is it acceptable to package (officially) projects that do not release
tarballs, but can be downloaded via SVN or CVS and tarballed from there?


I have two packages in mind, one of which I have packaged, but not
tested, the other I used a few years ago and would like to package.


These are PyKota and DSPAM. DSPAM may eventually release a tarball, but
currently has not done so since the project being sold. Both are FOSS
according to Fedora guidelines.


If these are acceptable, once I have tested them a bit, would anyone
mind sponsoring me and helping me get started?


I had mentioned bedework before (bedework.org). Currently, I do not know
enough about java building to make a package work. Also, the tarball
situation would be similar due to them also shipping the binaries and
several Fedora included packages in the tarball.


Thank you,
Trever Adams

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Jaroslav Reznik
 
Default Software without tarballs (SVN or CVS only)

----- "Trever L. Adams" <trever.adams@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it acceptable to package (officially) projects that do not release
>
> tarballs, but can be downloaded via SVN or CVS and tarballed from
> there?

Follow these guidelines:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/SourceURL#Using_Revision_Control

R.

> Thank you,
> Trever Adams
>
>
> --
> fedora-devel-list mailing list
> fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-25-2008, 02:10 PM
chasd
 
Default Software without tarballs (SVN or CVS only)

Trever L. Adams wrote:

DSPAM may eventually release a tarball, but currently has not done
so since the project being sold.


There was a recent ( October ) thread on the DSPAM users list
questioning if DSPAM is alive, as well as a thread a year ago. The
project really needs developers since Sensory Networks is not
spending any time on it. I know there are a couple of users that
have .spec files to roll their own RPMs, not sure if that would help
you. One used Gentoo patches, which cause some debate.


I'm still using 3.6.8 since I have no issues with the way I
configured DSPAM, using SQLite not MySQL.



--
Charles Dostale

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 PM
"Trever L. Adams"
 
Default Software without tarballs (SVN or CVS only)

chasd wrote:
There was a recent ( October ) thread on the DSPAM users list
questioning if DSPAM is alive, as well as a thread a year ago. The
project really needs developers since Sensory Networks is not spending
any time on it. I know there are a couple of users that have .spec
files to roll their own RPMs, not sure if that would help you. One
used Gentoo patches, which cause some debate.


I'm still using 3.6.8 since I have no issues with the way I configured
DSPAM, using SQLite not MySQL.



Sensory Networks has done some patching, but it is only in the CVS tree.
The tree even shows the release of 3.8.1, but there is no tarball, hence
my question about acceptance of such in a Fedora package.


Trever

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org