Old 11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Benjamin Kosnik

Default f11 boost-1.37.0 upgrade: notice of intent, and best way to

The boost maintainers are planning to update the boost versions
to the current release (1.37.0) in rawhide for F11. There was an
attempt to upgrade boost for F10, but the timing was off.

Details on that attempt:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00464.html

We have a tenative (local) srpm, and intend with this announcement to
put the boost upgrade in the queue for F11. Consider yourself notified,
devel-list reader.

There is some general discussion of how changes with a lot of deps
should be brought into rawhide:

1) making a koji tag, check in new boost, rebuild deps
2) mock chroot with the new boost, rebuild deps

Suggestions? Actual instructions, written down somewhere? The other
option is to:

3) check in the base boost package to devel, and immediately work on
rebuilding the deps

I don't want to jump the gun here, as I know F11 planning is ongoing,
and that holiday scheduling is a concern. Thoughts, and suggestion on
how to proceed are welcome.

best,
benjamin

Old 12-15-2008, 01:28 PM
"Nicolas Chauvet"

2008/11/24 Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com>:

> The boost maintainers are planning to update the boost versions
> to the current release (1.37.0) in rawhide for F11. There was an
> attempt to upgrade boost for F10, but the timing was off.
>
> Details on that attempt:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00464.html
>
> We have a tenative (local) srpm, and intend with this announcement to
> put the boost upgrade in the queue for F11. Consider yourself notified,
> devel-list reader.
>
> There is some general discussion of how changes with a lot of deps
> should be brought into rawhide:
>
> 1) making a koji tag, check in new boost, rebuild deps
> 2) mock chroot with the new boost, rebuild deps
>
> Suggestions? Actual instructions, written down somewhere? The other
> option is to:
>
> 3) check in the base boost package to devel, and immediately work on
> rebuilding the deps
>
> I don't want to jump the gun here, as I know F11 planning is ongoing,
> and that holiday scheduling is a concern. Thoughts, and suggestion on
> how to proceed are welcome.
Any ETA on this attempt ?
I think using a special tag would be the right thing, (like what was
done for python2.6)

But a wiki pages that would explain the common fix would also help.

Nicolas (kwizart)

ps: I have a LuxRender package under review that is known to fails on
the current boost.
aqsis on the other hand should work fine with newer boost.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Benjamin Kosnik

> > The boost maintainers are planning to update the boost versions
> > to the current release (1.37.0) in rawhide for F11. There was an
> > attempt to upgrade boost for F10, but the timing was off.
> >
> > Details on that attempt:
> >
> > https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-August/msg00464.html
> >

> > 3) check in the base boost package to devel, and immediately work on
> > rebuilding the deps

... using this

> Any ETA on this attempt ?

It's now in. Deps need to be rebuilt.

-benjamin

Old 12-18-2008, 10:16 AM
"Thomas Moschny"

2008/12/18 Benjamin Kosnik <bkoz@redhat.com>:
>> > 3) check in the base boost package to devel, and immediately work on
>> > rebuilding the deps
> [...]
> It's now in. Deps need to be rebuilt.

Please take also into account packages that need boost only at build
time, like monotone.

- Thomas