FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default It's all ASPLODY!

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:



You might consider a separate koji tag for this effort, similar to what
I did for perl in the F9 timeframe.



What perl regression was introduced in F9?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default It's all ASPLODY!

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 13:48 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> What perl regression was introduced in F9?

Perl was updated from 5.8 to 5.10 for Fedora 9. If you want to call
that a regression, have fun in your little fantasy world.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
 
Default It's all ASPLODY!

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 21:25 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2008, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>
> > Within the next few days Python 2.6 will be imported into Rawhide. This
> > means that EVERY single Python-based package in Rawhide will be broken,
>
> Hmm, to clarify: really every one, or "just" every one that installs files
> into versioned python dirs and/or depends on versioned python(abi)?
>
> If a package installs some *.py, *.pyc, *.pyo somewhere else than in versioned
> python dirs, and the source *.py is python 2.6 compatible, will the *.pyc and
> *.pyo compiled with 2.5 break with 2.6? For example, is it
> necessary/beneficial to rebuild packages like rpmlint (all its python code is
> either in /usr/bin or /usr/share/rpmlint)?

The Python API version (1013) has not changed between 2.5 and 2.6,
therefore the bytecode is compatible and .pyc and .pyo files in
version-independent locations do not need to be recompiled.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com>

PLEASE don't CC me; I'm already subscribed
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Les Mikesell
 
Default It's all ASPLODY!

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 13:48 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:

What perl regression was introduced in F9?


Perl was updated from 5.8 to 5.10 for Fedora 9. If you want to call
that a regression, have fun in your little fantasy world.


Did that trigger a need to rebuild anything? The only
non-backwards-compatible change I've ever seen in perl was when it
started to interpolate @ in double-quoted strings between 4.x and 5.x.


--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Jesse Keating
 
Default It's all ASPLODY!

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 14:15 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > Perl was updated from 5.8 to 5.10 for Fedora 9. If you want to call
> > that a regression, have fun in your little fantasy world.
>
> Did that trigger a need to rebuild anything? The only
> non-backwards-compatible change I've ever seen in perl was when it
> started to interpolate @ in double-quoted strings between 4.x and 5.x.

Yes, for a variety of reasons the packages needed to be rebuilt. Many
had to be altered too, as many things were brought into perl core that
were addons previously, and rpm spec files had to be adjusted. Spot can
fill you in on the more technical details.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!
identi.ca: http://identi.ca/jkeating
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"
 
Default It's all ASPLODY!

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 12:19 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 14:15 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > > Perl was updated from 5.8 to 5.10 for Fedora 9. If you want to call
> > > that a regression, have fun in your little fantasy world.
> >
> > Did that trigger a need to rebuild anything? The only
> > non-backwards-compatible change I've ever seen in perl was when it
> > started to interpolate @ in double-quoted strings between 4.x and 5.x.
>
> Yes, for a variety of reasons the packages needed to be rebuilt. Many
> had to be altered too, as many things were brought into perl core that
> were addons previously, and rpm spec files had to be adjusted. Spot can
> fill you in on the more technical details.

Perl is extremely major version dependent. Every perl module (basically,
anything more complex than a script) had to be rebuilt, and in many
cases, upstream bugs had to be filed and fixed before we could retain
functionality. I worked aggressively with upstream to both submit the
majority of our Fedora only perl patches into the 5.10 tree and to work
through the issues discovered during the migration.

End result: We're closer to perl upstream than we've ever been, and we
have most of the long-standing perl bugs resolved (and we fixed the
"RHEL slow perl" bug without even being aware of it as a byproduct of
the methodology).

The fact that you just noticed it means that we must have done some
things properly, you're welcome.

~spot

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams
 
Default It's all ASPLODY!

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 15:04 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> The Python API version (1013) has not changed between 2.5 and 2.6,
> therefore the bytecode is compatible and .pyc and .pyo files in
> version-independent locations do not need to be recompiled.

*sigh*

I just did some actual testing, and I've discovered that this is false.
But don't worry, I'll handle it.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet@gmail.com>

PLEASE don't CC me; I'm already subscribed
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:23 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org