Old 11-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

Default It's all ASPLODY!

Sorry for the overdramatic subject, but this is important.

Within the next few days Python 2.6 will be imported into Rawhide. This
means that EVERY single Python-based package in Rawhide will be broken,
and that we'll need to slog our way through rebuilding it package by
package. I'm going to forgo the customary list of packages this time
since they number in the hundreds. You can see them for yourself by
using the following:

repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo={development,rawhide}
--whatrequires "python(abi)" | sort | less

Good luck, and godspeed.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Seth Vidal

Sorry for the overdramatic subject, but this is important.

Within the next few days Python 2.6 will be imported into Rawhide. This
means that EVERY single Python-based package in Rawhide will be broken,
and that we'll need to slog our way through rebuilding it package by
package. I'm going to forgo the customary list of packages this time
since they number in the hundreds. You can see them for yourself by
using the following:

repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo={development,rawhide}
--whatrequires "python(abi)" | sort | less

Good luck, and godspeed.

So, unless everyone is comfy with rawhide being broken for most of the
rest of the week, I'd suggest we delay the import of python 2.6 until
after the weekend and a huge portion of the americans in working on fedora
get back from thanksgiving food comas.

-sv

Old 11-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Bill Nottingham

Seth Vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
> So, unless everyone is comfy with rawhide being broken for most of the
> rest of the week, I'd suggest we delay the import of python 2.6 until
> after the weekend and a huge portion of the americans in working on
> fedora get back from thanksgiving food comas.

I'm taking it from the original mail that the python maintainers do
not want to trigger the rebuilds?

Bill

Old 11-24-2008, 05:16 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

> Seth Vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > So, unless everyone is comfy with rawhide being broken for most of the
> > rest of the week, I'd suggest we delay the import of python 2.6 until
> > after the weekend and a huge portion of the americans in working on
> > fedora get back from thanksgiving food comas.
>
> I'm taking it from the original mail that the python maintainers do
> not want to trigger the rebuilds?

I don't mind doing some of them, but there are almost 700 total and
there's no way I can get that many done in a timely fashion.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:18 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 13:16 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 13:09 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Seth Vidal (skvidal@fedoraproject.org) said:
> > > So, unless everyone is comfy with rawhide being broken for most of the
> > > rest of the week, I'd suggest we delay the import of python 2.6 until
> > > after the weekend and a huge portion of the americans in working on
> > > fedora get back from thanksgiving food comas.
> >
> > I'm taking it from the original mail that the python maintainers do
> > not want to trigger the rebuilds?
>
> I don't mind doing some of them, but there are almost 700 total and
> there's no way I can get that many done in a timely fashion.

You might consider a separate koji tag for this effort, similar to what
I did for perl in the F9 timeframe.

~spot

Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 13:18 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 13:16 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm taking it from the original mail that the python maintainers do
> > > not want to trigger the rebuilds?
> >
> > I don't mind doing some of them, but there are almost 700 total and
> > there's no way I can get that many done in a timely fashion.
>
> You might consider a separate koji tag for this effort, similar to what
> I did for perl in the F9 timeframe.

It's also what we've done for python in the past. It's good to at least
get the stack up through yum and friends building and working before
thrusting the new python upon everyone as otherwise it's quite difficult
for people to even try to fix things on their own.

Jeremy

Old 11-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Seth Vidal

It's also what we've done for python in the past. It's good to at least
get the stack up through yum and friends building and working before
thrusting the new python upon everyone as otherwise it's quite difficult
for people to even try to fix things on their own.

So we'll need:

- pygpgme
- python-iniparse
- python-urlgrabber
- rpm-python
- yum-metadata-parser (python module)

-sv

Old 11-24-2008, 05:37 PM
"Konstantin Ryabitsev"

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>
>> It's also what we've done for python in the past. It's good to at least
>> get the stack up through yum and friends building and working before
>> thrusting the new python upon everyone as otherwise it's quite difficult
>> for people to even try to fix things on their own.
>
> So we'll need:
>
> - pygpgme
> - python-iniparse
> - python-urlgrabber
> - rpm-python
> - yum-metadata-parser (python module)

python-setuptools will need to work for most other python packages to build.

Cheers,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Montréal, Québec

Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 13:18 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> You might consider a separate koji tag for this effort, similar to what
> I did for perl in the F9 timeframe.

I can do that. Just point me in the right direction please.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Seth Vidal

It's also what we've done for python in the past. It's good to at least
get the stack up through yum and friends building and working before
thrusting the new python upon everyone as otherwise it's quite difficult
for people to even try to fix things on their own.

So we'll need:

- pygpgme
- python-iniparse
- python-urlgrabber
- rpm-python
- yum-metadata-parser (python module)

python-setuptools will need to work for most other python packages to build.

Good point. Shouldn't be too much beyond that, though.

-sv