Old 11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
David Zeuthen

Default orphaning gnome-volume-manager

Hey,

gnome-volume-manager is no longer in the default install since the
functionality it provides has been replaced by Nautilus as of Fedora 9.
As such I'm orphaning it.

This has been a public service announcement.

David

Old 11-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Bill Nottingham

David Zeuthen (davidz@redhat.com) said:
> gnome-volume-manager is no longer in the default install since the
> functionality it provides has been replaced by Nautilus as of Fedora 9.
> As such I'm orphaning it.
>
> This has been a public service announcement.

Does it actually serve a purpose? Should it just be removed?

Bill

Old 11-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Matthias Clasen

> David Zeuthen (davidz@redhat.com) said:
> > gnome-volume-manager is no longer in the default install since the
> > functionality it provides has been replaced by Nautilus as of Fedora 9.
> > As such I'm orphaning it.
> >
> > This has been a public service announcement.
>
> Does it actually serve a purpose? Should it just be removed?

We don't think it serves a useful purpose, but it doesn't do any harm.
So, if people want to keep using it, there is nothing wrong with taking
over the maintainership of the package. Otherwise, it'll just silently
vanish in F11.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 02:56:20PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> Does it actually serve a purpose? Should it just be removed?

It is up to fedora packagers to decide to maintain it or not.

--
Pat

Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Bill Nottingham

Patrice Dumas (pertusus@free.fr) said:
> > Does it actually serve a purpose? Should it just be removed?
>
> It is up to fedora packagers to decide to maintain it or not.

To an extent. We block packages every release that serve no purpose
any more.

Bill

Old 11-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Seth Vidal

Does it actually serve a purpose? Should it just be removed?

It is up to fedora packagers to decide to maintain it or not.

To an extent. We block packages every release that serve no purpose
any more.

Does anything obsolete gnome-volume-manager or will people just have crap
dangling around in their rpmdbs?

-sv

Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 05:18:13PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Patrice Dumas (pertusus@free.fr) said:
> > > Does it actually serve a purpose? Should it just be removed?
> >
> > It is up to fedora packagers to decide to maintain it or not.
>
> To an extent. We block packages every release that serve no purpose
> any more.

You should not, they should be orphaned.

--
Pat

Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Patrice Dumas

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 05:19:44PM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

>>> It is up to fedora packagers to decide to maintain it or not.
>>
>> To an extent. We block packages every release that serve no purpose
>> any more.
>
> Does anything obsolete gnome-volume-manager or will people just have crap
> dangling around in their rpmdbs?

Maybe somebody will take it. Obsoletes should only be added if nobody
wants to take the package.

--
Pat

Old 11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Bill Nottingham

Patrice Dumas (pertusus@free.fr) said:
> > To an extent. We block packages every release that serve no purpose
> > any more.
>
> You should not, they should be orphaned.

If a package's entire function has been subsumed by another package, there's
no point in going through an orphan cycle.

Bill

Old 11-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Seth Vidal

To an extent. We block packages every release that serve no purpose
any more.

You should not, they should be orphaned.

If a package's entire function has been subsumed by another package, there's
no point in going through an orphan cycle.

but it should be obsoleted by _something_.

-sv