Old 11-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Hans de Goede

Default Games SIG looking for new contributers

Hi all,

Once up on a time I (and quite a few others) started out as Fedora contributor
working mostly on games. Now I (and most others) have moved on contributing to
other (more "serious") areas of Fedora. But there is still plenty to do on the
Games front:

* The Games Spin which is looking for a maintainer,
* A growing list of games waiting to be packaged:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games/WishList
* Some game packages which could use some love, for example from some
games the sound effects were removed because they are non free, there are
plenty of free replacement sounds out there, but we need someone to go and
search for a set of them matching the requirements for the game (blobwars,
blobAndConquer and others)

I'm hereby offering help to anyone who wants to start contributing to the Games
SIG (new or exising contributers), this help includes reviewing new packages,
sponsoring, etc.

Regards,

Hans

Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 AM
"Jani Mikkonen"

As i've talked to Hans already about this, i want to mention that i
got some games packaged already from the wishlist and due to work
related time restraints havent had the time to yet put the stuff thru
to review cycle. I have no time to commit to take full maintainer
status nor i dont think i have enough expertice either but just fyi,
if there will be new maintainer, i've volunteered to start submitting
packages.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
"Andrea Musuruane"

2008/11/24 Jani Mikkonen <jani@mikkonen.biz>:
> As i've talked to Hans already about this, i want to mention that i
> got some games packaged already from the wishlist and due to work
> related time restraints havent had the time to yet put the stuff thru
> to review cycle. I have no time to commit to take full maintainer
> status nor i dont think i have enough expertice either but just fyi,
> if there will be new maintainer, i've volunteered to start submitting
> packages.

What games have you packages? Can you upload src.rpm somewhere on the
net? Thus maybe some other developers can use these as a base and they
won't start from scratch.

Regards,

Andrea.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:40 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> 2008/11/24 Jani Mikkonen <jani@mikkonen.biz>:
>> As i've talked to Hans already about this, i want to mention that i
>> got some games packaged already from the wishlist and due to work
>> related time restraints havent had the time to yet put the stuff thru
>> to review cycle. I have no time to commit to take full maintainer
>> status nor i dont think i have enough expertice either but just fyi,
>> if there will be new maintainer, i've volunteered to start submitting
>> packages.
>
> What games have you packages? Can you upload src.rpm somewhere on the
> net? Thus maybe some other developers can use these as a base and they
> won't start from scratch.

I'd be glad to see this too. I'd be happy to polish, submit and maintain
some.

> Regards,
>
> Andrea.

in your fear, speak only peace
in your fear, speak only love

-d. bowie

Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
"Jani Mikkonen"

>> What games have you packages? Can you upload src.rpm somewhere on the
>> net? Thus maybe some other developers can use these as a base and they
>> won't start from scratch.
>
> I'd be glad to see this too. I'd be happy to polish, submit and maintain
> some.

Soon Come

Packaging is not really the issue here but i can pass the stuff before
end of this week to public.

Biggest issue with most of the games on the wishlist is that they are
pretty poorly coded when it comes to actually "packaging" those. 4
games (which i do not remember currently as im still in the office
and cant access my build box at home) that i did where "hardcoded" to
use datafiles from either same directory as the game binary itself OR
even worse, from current working directory..

Old 11-25-2008, 03:38 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

>>> What games have you packages? Can you upload src.rpm somewhere on the
>>> net? Thus maybe some other developers can use these as a base and they
>>> won't start from scratch.
>>
>> I'd be glad to see this too. I'd be happy to polish, submit and
>> maintain
>> some.
>

> Soon Come
>
> Packaging is not really the issue here but i can pass the stuff before
> end of this week to public.
>
> Biggest issue with most of the games on the wishlist is that they are
> pretty poorly coded when it comes to actually "packaging" those. 4
> games (which i do not remember currently as im still in the office
> and cant access my build box at home) that i did where "hardcoded" to
> use datafiles from either same directory as the game binary itself OR
> even worse, from current working directory..

There are lots of those in Fedora. We Have Ways. ))