-   -   NetworkManager cli docs (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/198323-networkmanager-cli-docs.html)

nodata 11-23-2008 12:33 PM

NetworkManager cli docs

Hi,

Can anyone point me at the docs for configuring NetworkManager without
the tray applet?

I've tried google, the gnome.org nm page, and the man pages. I can't
find a thing.

Thanks.

Dan Williams 11-24-2008 03:00 PM

NetworkManager cli docs

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 14:33 +0100, nodata wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone point me at the docs for configuring NetworkManager without
> the tray applet?
>
> I've tried google, the gnome.org nm page, and the man pages. I can't
> find a thing.

NetworkManager provides a D-Bus API for controlling network connections,
as seen here: http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/spec.html .

For setting up network connections without a user settings service,
NetworkManager provides a system-wide settings service which reads
ifcfg-* files like you'd normally create on Fedora. Be sure to set
NM_CONTROLLED=yes, and NetworkManager should pick them up and use them
as long as ONBOOT=yes (which means bring it up automatically).

Dan

nodata 11-24-2008 06:21 PM

NetworkManager cli docs

Am Montag, den 24.11.2008, 11:00 -0500 schrieb Dan Williams:
> On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 14:33 +0100, nodata wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can anyone point me at the docs for configuring NetworkManager without
> > the tray applet?
> >
> > I've tried google, the gnome.org nm page, and the man pages. I can't
> > find a thing.
>
> NetworkManager provides a D-Bus API for controlling network connections,
> as seen here: http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/spec.html .
>
> For setting up network connections without a user settings service,
> NetworkManager provides a system-wide settings service which reads
> ifcfg-* files like you'd normally create on Fedora. Be sure to set
> NM_CONTROLLED=yes, and NetworkManager should pick them up and use them
> as long as ONBOOT=yes (which means bring it up automatically).
>
> Dan

Thanks for this. I've got two more questions:

1. How will users find out about this? I can't find any documentation
without using the magic NM_CONTROLLED search term.
2. Is there a cli network manager tool planned for Fedora?

Dan Williams 11-24-2008 07:14 PM

NetworkManager cli docs

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 20:21 +0100, nodata wrote:
> Am Montag, den 24.11.2008, 11:00 -0500 schrieb Dan Williams:
> > On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 14:33 +0100, nodata wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Can anyone point me at the docs for configuring NetworkManager without
> > > the tray applet?
> > >
> > > I've tried google, the gnome.org nm page, and the man pages. I can't
> > > find a thing.
> >
> > NetworkManager provides a D-Bus API for controlling network connections,
> > as seen here: http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/spec.html .
> >
> > For setting up network connections without a user settings service,
> > NetworkManager provides a system-wide settings service which reads
> > ifcfg-* files like you'd normally create on Fedora. Be sure to set
> > NM_CONTROLLED=yes, and NetworkManager should pick them up and use them
> > as long as ONBOOT=yes (which means bring it up automatically).
> >
> > Dan
> >

> Thanks for this. I've got two more questions:
>
> 1. How will users find out about this? I can't find any documentation
> without using the magic NM_CONTROLLED search term.

What exactly are you trying to find out? For the most part, if you have
an ifcfg file that doesn't use bridges or aliases, NM will just pick it
up and handle it provided NM_CONTROLLED=yes or is absent. NM_CONTROLLED
is about as well documented as any of the other options in ifcfg files.

> 2. Is there a cli network manager tool planned for Fedora?

Yes.

Dan

"Paul W. Frields" 11-24-2008 07:51 PM

NetworkManager cli docs

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 03:14:01PM -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 20:21 +0100, nodata wrote:

> > > NetworkManager provides a D-Bus API for controlling network connections,
> > > as seen here: http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/spec.html .
> > >
> > > For setting up network connections without a user settings service,
> > > NetworkManager provides a system-wide settings service which reads
> > > ifcfg-* files like you'd normally create on Fedora. Be sure to set
> > > NM_CONTROLLED=yes, and NetworkManager should pick them up and use them
> > > as long as ONBOOT=yes (which means bring it up automatically).
> >
> > Thanks for this. I've got two more questions:
> >
> > 1. How will users find out about this? I can't find any documentation
> > without using the magic NM_CONTROLLED search term.
>
> What exactly are you trying to find out? For the most part, if you have
> an ifcfg file that doesn't use bridges or aliases, NM will just pick it
> up and handle it provided NM_CONTROLLED=yes or is absent. NM_CONTROLLED
> is about as well documented as any of the other options in ifcfg files.

That's a bug maybe worth filing against initscripts; the
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt file is fairly useful but
may have slipped out of currency.

Bill Nottingham 11-24-2008 07:57 PM

NetworkManager cli docs

Paul W. Frields (stickster@gmail.com) said:
> That's a bug maybe worth filing against initscripts; the
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt file is fairly useful but
> may have slipped out of currency.

It wasn't documented because it was inveted late and actually has no
bearing on the old network ifup/ifdown scripts at all. Hence, if
you're configuring by hand, it serves no purpose.

Bill

Matej Cepl 11-25-2008 04:46 PM

NetworkManager cli docs

On 2008-11-24, 20:51 GMT, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> That's a bug maybe worth filing against initscripts; the
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt file is fairly useful but
> may have slipped out of currency.

And if somebody converted that into manpage(s) she would be my
personal hero.

Matěj

"Gergely Buday" 11-26-2008 06:12 AM

NetworkManager cli docs

Matej wrote:

>> That's a bug maybe worth filing against initscripts; the
>> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt file is fairly useful but
>> may have slipped out of currency.
>
> And if somebody converted that into manpage(s) she would be my
> personal hero.

I am not a hero type but this is certainly an itch to scratch for me.
I have taken a search for the initscripts project but got results only
for initscripts-ipv6. What I got is the home page for the rpm package:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/initscripts

Is this a fedora-only package? What is the way to sign up as a volunteer?

- Gergely

"Paul W. Frields" 11-26-2008 11:49 AM

NetworkManager cli docs

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 08:12:40AM +0100, Gergely Buday wrote:
> Matej wrote:
>
> >> That's a bug maybe worth filing against initscripts; the
> >> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt file is fairly useful but
> >> may have slipped out of currency.
> >
> > And if somebody converted that into manpage(s) she would be my
> > personal hero.
>
> I am not a hero type but this is certainly an itch to scratch for me.
> I have taken a search for the initscripts project but got results only
> for initscripts-ipv6. What I got is the home page for the rpm package:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/initscripts
>
> Is this a fedora-only package? What is the way to sign up as a volunteer?

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=initscripts.git;a=summary

It's a Fedora Hosted project, so you could talk to the owner about how
to get involved with its specific documentation.