Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM
"Peter Robinson"

Default problems updating glibc

Hi All,

I've seen mention of this (and actually saw it on another system of
mine but it settled down) where glibc-common can't update due to
glibc.

The machine is a Fit-PC which runs on an AMD Geode. It currently has
the glibc version 2.8.90-14 i686 rpm and attempting to update to 2.9-2
it errors with "package glibc-2.9-2.i686 is intended for a i686
architecture" which seems weird given that its already running the
i686 version. Any ideas?

Peter

[root@cypher ~]# rpm -Uvh glibc-*
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
package glibc-2.9-2.i686 is intended for a i686 architecture
[root@cypher ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 10
model name : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by AMD PCS
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 499.900
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 pge cmov clflush mmx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips : 999.80
clflush size : 32
power management:

[root@cypher ~]# rpm -qa| grep glibc
glibc-2.8.90-14.i686
glibc-common-2.8.90-14.i386

Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Dennis Gilmore

On Friday 21 November 2008 07:27:40 am Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've seen mention of this (and actually saw it on another system of
> mine but it settled down) where glibc-common can't update due to
> glibc.
>
> The machine is a Fit-PC which runs on an AMD Geode. It currently has
> the glibc version 2.8.90-14 i686 rpm and attempting to update to 2.9-2
> it errors with "package glibc-2.9-2.i686 is intended for a i686
> architecture" which seems weird given that its already running the
> i686 version. Any ideas?
a geode is not i686 compatiable, it is a i586 cpu + cmov it really needs its
own arch for glibc. rpm and yum both now how to deal with .geode packages.
openssl likely needs a .geode rpm also. olpc has the same issue. the images
they use have i686 versions installed.

Dennis

Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 PM
"Peter Robinson"

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've seen mention of this (and actually saw it on another system of
>> mine but it settled down) where glibc-common can't update due to
>> glibc.
>>
>> The machine is a Fit-PC which runs on an AMD Geode. It currently has
>> the glibc version 2.8.90-14 i686 rpm and attempting to update to 2.9-2
>> it errors with "package glibc-2.9-2.i686 is intended for a i686
>> architecture" which seems weird given that its already running the
>> i686 version. Any ideas?
> a geode is not i686 compatiable, it is a i586 cpu + cmov it really needs its
> own arch for glibc. rpm and yum both now how to deal with .geode packages.
> openssl likely needs a .geode rpm also. olpc has the same issue. the images
> they use have i686 versions installed.

So OLPC uses i686 or some other package? This one was running i686
probably because I installed it from a LiveCD but has been running
fine, that's probably where the issue came from.

Peter

Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 08:13:28AM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2008 07:27:40 am Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've seen mention of this (and actually saw it on another system of
> > mine but it settled down) where glibc-common can't update due to
> > glibc.
> >
> > The machine is a Fit-PC which runs on an AMD Geode. It currently has
> > the glibc version 2.8.90-14 i686 rpm and attempting to update to 2.9-2
> > it errors with "package glibc-2.9-2.i686 is intended for a i686
> > architecture" which seems weird given that its already running the
> > i686 version. Any ideas?
> a geode is not i686 compatiable, it is a i586 cpu + cmov it really needs its
> own arch for glibc. rpm and yum both now how to deal with .geode packages.
> openssl likely needs a .geode rpm also. olpc has the same issue. the images
> they use have i686 versions installed.

I've got one of these crazy boxes too. Although i686 packages can't
be installed, they _do_ seem to work if you force them. Certainly all
the simple ones I tried anyway, although maybe I didn't try openssl.

(It's also worth noting that there are at least two somewhat different
variations of the Geode.)

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)

Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
"Peter Robinson"

>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I've seen mention of this (and actually saw it on another system of
>> > mine but it settled down) where glibc-common can't update due to
>> > glibc.
>> >
>> > The machine is a Fit-PC which runs on an AMD Geode. It currently has
>> > the glibc version 2.8.90-14 i686 rpm and attempting to update to 2.9-2
>> > it errors with "package glibc-2.9-2.i686 is intended for a i686
>> > architecture" which seems weird given that its already running the
>> > i686 version. Any ideas?
>> a geode is not i686 compatiable, it is a i586 cpu + cmov it really needs its
>> own arch for glibc. rpm and yum both now how to deal with .geode packages.
>> openssl likely needs a .geode rpm also. olpc has the same issue. the images
>> they use have i686 versions installed.
>
> I've got one of these crazy boxes too. Although i686 packages can't
> be installed, they _do_ seem to work if you force them. Certainly all
> the simple ones I tried anyway, although maybe I didn't try openssl.

I'm not sure, openSSH seems to use nss now instead of openssl, but I
would have thought they would both use similar CPU ops.

> (It's also worth noting that there are at least two somewhat different
> variations of the Geode.)

Yea, these are the LX which I think is the same or similar to the
OLPC. They also have a crypto/RNG processor too that seems to work
nicely.

Peter

Old 11-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Alan Cox

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 08:13:28AM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> a geode is not i686 compatiable, it is a i586 cpu + cmov it really needs its

That depends which geode. The GX varies from 486 to 686-ish and the NX is
basically an Athlon

Old 11-22-2008, 09:32 AM
"Peter Robinson"

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 08:13:28AM -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>> a geode is not i686 compatiable, it is a i586 cpu + cmov it really needs its
>
> That depends which geode. The GX varies from 486 to 686-ish and the NX is
> basically an Athlon

Where does the LX fit into this?

http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc-1-0-specifications.html
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification

Old 11-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Tomas Mraz

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 17:14 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:

> >> a geode is not i686 compatiable, it is a i586 cpu + cmov it really needs its
> >> own arch for glibc. rpm and yum both now how to deal with .geode packages.
> >> openssl likely needs a .geode rpm also. olpc has the same issue. the images
> >> they use have i686 versions installed.
> >
> > I've got one of these crazy boxes too. Although i686 packages can't
> > be installed, they _do_ seem to work if you force them. Certainly all
> > the simple ones I tried anyway, although maybe I didn't try openssl.
>
> I'm not sure, openSSH seems to use nss now instead of openssl, but I
> would have thought they would both use similar CPU ops.

Small correction - s/instead of/in addition to/ in the previous
sentence.

--
Tomas Mraz
Turkish proverb