FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 02:27:01PM -0500, sean darcy wrote:
> How do users put forward a wish list/feature request for F11.

If you want to implement the feature yourself, then:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy

> Being a user from os/x I'm surprised there's no simple method for
> installing system wide Type1 fonts ( same for TT ? ). FWIW, I've been
> unable to find instructions on how to do it from command line. The
> Fedora Users list just suggested I install using yum (sigh).
>
> In any event, IMHO, it's a major oversight that we can't install 3rd
> party fonts, which would nice to see fixed in F11. So where do I make my
> plea?

I think you just drop them into .fonts in your home directory. At
least, that was how it was about 10 years ago when I last worried
about such things.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Emerging Technologies, Red Hat http://et.redhat.com/~rjones
virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
live CD or over the network (PXE) and turn machines into Xen guests.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Casey Dahlin
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 02:27:01PM -0500, sean darcy wrote:


How do users put forward a wish list/feature request for F11.



If you want to implement the feature yourself, then:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy


Being a user from os/x I'm surprised there's no simple method for
installing system wide Type1 fonts ( same for TT ? ). FWIW, I've been
unable to find instructions on how to do it from command line. The
Fedora Users list just suggested I install using yum (sigh).


In any event, IMHO, it's a major oversight that we can't install 3rd
party fonts, which would nice to see fixed in F11. So where do I make my
plea?



I think you just drop them into .fonts in your home directory. At
least, that was how it was about 10 years ago when I last worried
about such things.

Rich.



He specified "system-wide" though, which makes life more fun.

--CJD

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Nicolas Mailhot
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

Le jeudi 20 novembre 2008 à 14:27 -0500, sean darcy a écrit :

> In any event, IMHO, it's a major oversight that we can't install 3rd
> party fonts, which would nice to see fixed in F11. So where do I make my
> plea?

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=468598

--
Nicolas Mailhot
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Nicolas Mailhot
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

Le jeudi 20 novembre 2008 à 14:40 -0500, Casey Dahlin a écrit :
>
> He specified "system-wide" though, which makes life more fun.

System-wide means making a proper font package and using yum

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Fonts_packaging

--
Nicolas Mailhot
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Seth Vidal
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, sean darcy wrote:

Being a user from os/x I'm surprised there's no simple method for installing
system wide Type1 fonts ( same for TT ? ). FWIW, I've been unable to find
instructions on how to do it from command line. The Fedora Users list just
suggested I install using yum (sigh).


What's wrong with using yum?

yum search type1
yum install any_of_the_things_returned_by_that_search


and there a bunch returned by that search

In any event, IMHO, it's a major oversight that we can't install 3rd party
fonts, which would nice to see fixed in F11. So where do I make my plea?


Oh, I see you want 3rd party fonts. Then make a package and install them
the same way.


-sv

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-21-2008, 01:07 AM
sean darcy
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

Seth Vidal wrote:



On Thu, 20 Nov 2008, sean darcy wrote:

Being a user from os/x I'm surprised there's no simple method for
installing system wide Type1 fonts ( same for TT ? ). FWIW, I've been
unable to find instructions on how to do it from command line. The
Fedora Users list just suggested I install using yum (sigh).


What's wrong with using yum?

yum search type1
yum install any_of_the_things_returned_by_that_search


and there a bunch returned by that search

In any event, IMHO, it's a major oversight that we can't install 3rd
party fonts, which would nice to see fixed in F11. So where do I make
my plea?


Oh, I see you want 3rd party fonts. Then make a package and install
them the same way.


-sv



First, I'm a great yum fan. And you are the man. No irony or sarcasm.

But... I use a lot of 3rd party fonts that aren't open, like most
designers. It's weird/strange/peculiar there's no system-config-fonts
that would allow us to install them.


So no disrespect to yum ( or you).

sean

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-21-2008, 08:40 AM
"Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski"
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

On Friday, 21 November 2008 at 03:07, sean darcy wrote:
[...]
> First, I'm a great yum fan. And you are the man. No irony or sarcasm.
>
> But... I use a lot of 3rd party fonts that aren't open, like most
> designers. It's weird/strange/peculiar there's no system-config-fonts
> that would allow us to install them.

This calls for some font2spec script that'd create a spec file for your
font and let you build a package from it easily, much like R2spec or
cpan2rpm.

Regards,
R.

--
Fedora http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rathann
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu
"Faith manages."
-- Delenn to Lennier in Babylon 5:"Confessions and Lamentations"

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Nicolas Mailhot
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

Le vendredi 21 novembre 2008 à 10:40 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann'
Mierzejewski a écrit :
> On Friday, 21 November 2008 at 03:07, sean darcy wrote:
> [...]
> > First, I'm a great yum fan. And you are the man. No irony or sarcasm.
> >
> > But... I use a lot of 3rd party fonts that aren't open, like most
> > designers. It's weird/strange/peculiar there's no system-config-fonts
> > that would allow us to install them.
>
> This calls for some font2spec script that'd create a spec file for your
> font and let you build a package from it easily, much like R2spec or
> cpan2rpm.

R2spec or cpan2rpm work by converting existing metadata. Raw font files
do not have the kind of metadata which could be used to generate
complete spec files. You have significant packager involvment to fill
the info that wouldn't be there otherwise.

But anyway you're invited like everyone else on the list to review,
comment on and complete the current font packaging guideline change
proposal on
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Fonts_packaging_automation

--
Nicolas Mailhot
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 AM
"Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski"
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

On Friday, 21 November 2008 at 11:34, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le vendredi 21 novembre 2008 à 10:40 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann'
> Mierzejewski a écrit :
> > On Friday, 21 November 2008 at 03:07, sean darcy wrote:
> > [...]
> > > First, I'm a great yum fan. And you are the man. No irony or sarcasm.
> > >
> > > But... I use a lot of 3rd party fonts that aren't open, like most
> > > designers. It's weird/strange/peculiar there's no system-config-fonts
> > > that would allow us to install them.
> >
> > This calls for some font2spec script that'd create a spec file for your
> > font and let you build a package from it easily, much like R2spec or
> > cpan2rpm.
>
> R2spec or cpan2rpm work by converting existing metadata. Raw font files
> do not have the kind of metadata which could be used to generate
> complete spec files. You have significant packager involvment to fill
> the info that wouldn't be there otherwise.
>
> But anyway you're invited like everyone else on the list to review,
> comment on and complete the current font packaging guideline change
> proposal on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Fonts_packaging_automation

It looks mostly sane (I applied some grammar and punctuation fixes, I hope
you don't mind), but I don't like the naming of "rpm-fonts-filesystem". This
has nothing to do with rpm itself, hence it shouldn't look like a subpackage
of rpm. Instead, I suggest "fonts-filesystem".

Regards,
R.

--
Fedora http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rathann
RPMFusion http://rpmfusion.org | MPlayer http://mplayerhq.hu
"Faith manages."
-- Delenn to Lennier in Babylon 5:"Confessions and Lamentations"

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Nicolas Mailhot
 
Default where's the wish list for F11?

Le vendredi 21 novembre 2008 à 12:28 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann'
Mierzejewski a écrit :
> On Friday, 21 November 2008 at 11:34, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> > But anyway you're invited like everyone else on the list to review,
> > comment on and complete the current font packaging guideline change
> > proposal on
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Fonts_packaging_automation
>
> It looks mostly sane (I applied some grammar and punctuation fixes, I hope
> you don't mind),

Thank you for the review and the fixes, I don't mind at all, quite the
contrary, you're very welcome. Please post any remarks you may have
about the packages themselves, that's where the long-term value is.

> but I don't like the naming of "rpm-fonts-filesystem". This
> has nothing to do with rpm itself, hence it shouldn't look like a subpackage
> of rpm. Instead, I suggest "fonts-filesystem".

I fear that by the time I had written the macros, templates, specs, wiki
pages, and all, my inspiration had quite dried out. I don't like
rpm-fonts much, but I feel fonts would be too generic a name for the
base package. If anyone has great naming ideas, I'm all ears.

--
Nicolas Mailhot
--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:27 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org