Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 PM
sean darcy

Default where's the wish list for F11?

Roberto Ragusa wrote:

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

Why not simply provide the default fontconfig package, with the ability
to load fonts from say "/usr/local/share/fonts" ?

Good idea.
This is exactly what I've done to add some unpackaged fonts
to my system.
A comment in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf says you should have local
modifications in /etc/fonts/local.conf.

This is the content of my local.conf:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<dir>/usr/local/share/fonts</dir>
</fontconfig>

OK, so I set up local.conf in /etc/fonts. Then what? It just works?
Reboot? Restart some service? Restart X? Does it work for Type1 as
well as TT?

I'm stunned it could be so easy. It as though there's cabalistic
knowledge on Fedora only the initiates know.

sean

sean

Old 11-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le dimanche 23 novembre 2008 à 16:45 -0500, sean darcy a écrit :

> OK, so I set up local.conf in /etc/fonts. Then what?

Then you need to rebuild your fontconfig cache or you'll have very weird
effects in apps.

Then you need to tell fontconfig how to classify each font if you want
apps like firefox to use them in the right place

Then you probably need nothing else, except you've done 80% of the work
creating a proper package without getting something you can reinstall or
tweak at need.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 11-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Rodd Clarkson

On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 10:40 +0100, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Friday, 21 November 2008 at 03:07, sean darcy wrote:
> [...]
> > First, I'm a great yum fan. And you are the man. No irony or sarcasm.
> >
> > But... I use a lot of 3rd party fonts that aren't open, like most
> > designers. It's weird/strange/peculiar there's no system-config-fonts
> > that would allow us to install them.
>
> This calls for some font2spec script that'd create a spec file for your
> font and let you build a package from it easily, much like R2spec or
> cpan2rpm.

Can you still just copy the font files into ~/.fonts/ ?

This works (worked) for ttf fonts, but may or may not for type1 fonts.

R.
It's much better on my side"