Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Nicolas Mailhot

Default RFC: fix summary text for lots of packages

Le dimanche 23 novembre 2008 à 18:44 +0200, Ville Skyttä a écrit :

> > and I don't see why
> > we should bother with FPC at all if you're taking policy in your hands.
>
> Ahh, trolling again?

I happen to be one of the people who waste their evenings doing package
reviews, and having to explain that a rpmlint warning packagers
religiously follow is just someone's bikeshedding added without
consultation, and sometimes even *contrary* to FPC decisions, is not fun
at all.

You can call that trolling is it makes you feel better.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 11-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Tom Lane

Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> writes:
> With "postgresql" (albeit not limited to postgresql) the added difficulty
> is that the main package contains only parts of the suite. The server files
> are in another package.

Right, and the same is true of mysql. These decisions were made before
I took over the packages, but I think the reasoning is that the client
programs are useful without the server (because you might be installing
them just to talk to a remote database server), but the server isn't
very useful without the clients (because they are essential management
tools for a server). So the client programs form the "base" package
and the -server subpackage depends on that, not the other way around.

This means that there really isn't *any* single package on which it's
useful to hang a self-contained description like
> Advanced Object-Relational database management system using SQL
The base package really has to say that it's just clients for the
DBMS, or it's misleading. I suppose I could attach such a description
to the -server subpackage, but it looks a tad weird in context.

If I had a way to declare a "meta-package" in the specfile then I'd
attach the core description to it.

regards, tom lane