Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Matej Cepl

Default reportbug?

On 2008-11-19, 18:38 GMT, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> 1) Make it easy to report bugs. Bugzilla is complex, slow, and
> inscrutable. We need to put a simpler layer on top of it. Reporting a
> bug should require just a few clicks.

In my checkerd past is a long streak of using Debian. There
I really liked reportbug script -- in my opinion, reporting bug
should not include any clicks at all.

The beauty of such script is that it is able to collect all
necessary information itself and it could theoretically carry
some database of information needed for the particular component.
Or it could do even some light pre-processing of the information?

Still it could do much more than whatever we can even dream about
with the web form no matter how many clicks we require -- I am
afraid that in case of web forms there is a direct relationship
between usefulness of information and number of clicks required.

Comments?

Matěj

Old 11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
James Antill

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 09:05 +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-11-19, 18:38 GMT, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > 1) Make it easy to report bugs. Bugzilla is complex, slow, and
> > inscrutable. We need to put a simpler layer on top of it. Reporting a
> > bug should require just a few clicks.
>
> In my checkerd past is a long streak of using Debian. There
> I really liked reportbug script -- in my opinion, reporting bug
> should not include any clicks at all.
>
> The beauty of such script is that it is able to collect all
> necessary information itself and it could theoretically carry
> some database of information needed for the particular component.
> Or it could do even some light pre-processing of the information?
>
> Still it could do much more than whatever we can even dream about
> with the web form no matter how many clicks we require -- I am
> afraid that in case of web forms there is a direct relationship
> between usefulness of information and number of clicks required.
>
> Comments?

I don't remember reportbug being that userfriendly, but yeh some
graphical tool that can get local data and screenshots etc. would be
nice.
_But_ as others have said in this thread, if someone wants to do some
easy/quick to use tools for BZ the first ones they should be writing are
for the developers/packagers. I won't mind getting 666 dups, or dealing
with 10x as many bugs in general, as long as I have a decent local tool
that can manage that number of bugs. Atm. lots of TABs of open bugs, and
giant folders of BZ email are the best tools I've seen.

--
James Antill <james@fedoraproject.org>
Fedora