Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Seth Vidal

Default F11: things to check in a release tree before a release

Going through a variety of checks for things that could be broken in a
release tree, I decided to type up a list of the things we should be
checking for.

• metadata matches
• comps correct
• file conflicts
• normal conflicts
• no obsoleted pkgs in tree
• report all triggers
• look for all postrans/pretrans things
• unresolveable requires
• self-provided filedeps
• self-provided normal deps
• old versions of pkgs left over

Some of them are not explicitly things which are broken in a release, just
things it would be wise to make sure are sane. Triggers,pretrans and
posttrans are good examples of that.

Can anyone think of any others that we should report/check for?

-sv

Old 11-19-2008, 08:12 PM
"Daniel P. Berrange"

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 03:52:15PM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Going through a variety of checks for things that could be broken in a
> release tree, I decided to type up a list of the things we should be
> checking for.
>
> ??? metadata matches
> ??? comps correct
> ??? file conflicts
> ??? normal conflicts
> ??? no obsoleted pkgs in tree
> ??? report all triggers
> ??? look for all postrans/pretrans things
> ??? unresolveable requires
> ??? self-provided filedeps
> ??? self-provided normal deps
> ??? old versions of pkgs left over
>

> Some of them are not explicitly things which are broken in a release, just
> things it would be wise to make sure are sane. Triggers,pretrans and
> posttrans are good examples of that.
>
> Can anyone think of any others that we should report/check for?

All files in the .treeinfo file actually exist, and that the .treeinfo
has entries for baremetal & xen kernels (xen may or may not point to
the same kernels as baremetal). We now rely on .treeinfo files for
virtualization provisioning needs, so brokenness is a show-stopper.

Regards,
Daniel

Old 11-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Jesse Keating

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 15:52 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Can anyone think of any others that we should report/check for?

Not sure if early things catch it, but packages that obsolete themselves
(usually due to unversioned provides)

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom is a feature!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Seth Vidal

[...]

verifytree already does that. but yes, correct.

-sv

Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 15:52:15 -0500 (EST), Seth Vidal wrote:

> Going through a variety of checks for things that could be broken in a
> release tree, I decided to type up a list of the things we should be
> checking for.
>
> • metadata matches
> • comps correct
> • file conflicts

Conflicts between a file and a symlink. Can only be checked with access
to the .rpm package and is not listed in the metadata (afaik).

Optionally: permission/ownership conflicts

> • normal conflicts
> • no obsoleted pkgs in tree
> • report all triggers
> • look for all postrans/pretrans things
> • unresolveable requires
> • self-provided filedeps
> • self-provided normal deps
> • old versions of pkgs left over

• SONAME-provides conflicts

Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Michael Schwendt

Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Seth Vidal

Can anyone think of any others that we should report/check for?

Not sure if early things catch it, but packages that obsolete themselves
(usually due to unversioned provides)

added.
-sv

Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Seth Vidal

Going through a variety of checks for things that could be broken in a
release tree, I decided to type up a list of the things we should be
checking for.

• metadata matches
• comps correct
• file conflicts

Conflicts between a file and a symlink. Can only be checked with access
to the .rpm package and is not listed in the metadata (afaik).

Right, Which is what I'm doing here:
http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/potential_conflict.py

check for filename clashes, then pull the headers from the packages
involved and check the checksum against each.

Optionally: permission/ownership conflicts

• SONAME-provides conflicts

explain more about what we check for here?
Is this like multiple things providing libfoo.so() and one of them being a
bogon autodep?

-sv

Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:29:37 -0500 (EST), Seth Vidal wrote:

> > • SONAME-provides conflicts
>
> explain more about what we check for here?
> Is this like multiple things providing libfoo.so() and one of them being a
> bogon autodep?

Exactly.