-   -   Heads up: OCaml 3.11.0 rebuild for Fedora 11 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/195600-heads-up-ocaml-3-11-0-rebuild-fedora-11-a.html)

"Richard W.M. Jones" 11-18-2008 04:49 PM

Heads up: OCaml 3.11.0 rebuild for Fedora 11

Just a note that I'll be building OCaml 3.11.0+beta1 in Fedora 11
(future Rawhide). This will break everything OCaml-related for a
little while, since it's known that some packages don't build with the
new OCaml compiler yet.

Rich.

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Stephen Warren 11-18-2008 08:34 PM

On Tue, November 18, 2008 10:49 am, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Just a note that I'll be building OCaml 3.11.0+beta1 in Fedora 11
> (future Rawhide). This will break everything OCaml-related for a
> little while, since it's known that some packages don't build with the
> new OCaml compiler yet.

Will you be initiating rebuilds of all the built-with-OCaml packages, or
is this a heads-up that individual maintainers need to, once the base
compiler build is done/tagged/pushed?

Thanks.

"Richard W.M. Jones" 11-18-2008 08:50 PM

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 02:34:41PM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On Tue, November 18, 2008 10:49 am, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >
> > Just a note that I'll be building OCaml 3.11.0+beta1 in Fedora 11
> > (future Rawhide). This will break everything OCaml-related for a
> > little while, since it's known that some packages don't build with the
> > new OCaml compiler yet.
>
> Will you be initiating rebuilds of all the built-with-OCaml packages, or
> is this a heads-up that individual maintainers need to, once the base
> compiler build is done/tagged/pushed?

I will try to rebuild all dependent packages as well. Not ones out of
the Fedora tree though obviously .. I'm actually going to test the
upgrade on my local machine [using smock!] first so hopefully I won't
be committing anything catastrophically bad.

Rich.

virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v

"Richard W.M. Jones" 11-19-2008 04:11 PM

Heads up: OCaml 3.11.0 rebuild for Fedora 11

The complete rebuild went surprisingly well. Out of 48 packages named
'ocaml*', these are the 9 packages which _failed_ to build on my local
(x86-64) machine:

ocaml-type-conv camlp4 problem, already fixed upstream
ocaml-gsl strange problem in String.index_from function
ocaml-gettext "
ocaml-pxp "
ocaml-cil some sort of build system problem
ocaml-omake undefined reference to caml_sync
ocaml-pa-monad tighter module naming restrictions in 3.11 breaks this
ocaml-sexplib requires ocaml-type-conv, see above
ocaml-bitstring requires ocaml-cil, also has a known camlp4 problem

Orion Poplawski 11-19-2008 05:32 PM

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

The complete rebuild went surprisingly well. Out of 48 packages named
'ocaml*', these are the 9 packages which _failed_ to build on my local
(x86-64) machine:

ocaml-type-conv camlp4 problem, already fixed upstream
ocaml-gsl strange problem in String.index_from function
ocaml-gettext "
ocaml-pxp "
ocaml-cil some sort of build system problem
ocaml-omake undefined reference to caml_sync
ocaml-pa-monad tighter module naming restrictions in 3.11 breaks this
ocaml-sexplib requires ocaml-type-conv, see above
ocaml-bitstring requires ocaml-cil, also has a known camlp4 problem

Rich.

Can you test plplot?

--
Orion Poplawski
Technical Manager 303-415-9701 x222

"Richard W.M. Jones" 11-19-2008 05:34 PM

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:32:36AM -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> The complete rebuild went surprisingly well. Out of 48 packages named
>> 'ocaml*', these are the 9 packages which _failed_ to build on my local
>> (x86-64) machine:
>>
>> ocaml-type-conv camlp4 problem, already fixed upstream
>> ocaml-gsl strange problem in String.index_from function
>> ocaml-gettext "
>> ocaml-pxp "
>> ocaml-cil some sort of build system problem
>> ocaml-omake undefined reference to caml_sync
>> ocaml-pa-monad tighter module naming restrictions in 3.11 breaks this
>> ocaml-sexplib requires ocaml-type-conv, see above
>> ocaml-bitstring requires ocaml-cil, also has a known camlp4 problem
>>
>> Rich.
>
> Can you test plplot?

Yes don't worry, I will test everything! I was just doing the ocaml-*
(ie. library) packages first because they're the most essential :-)

"Richard W.M. Jones" 11-20-2008 12:53 PM

Heads up: OCaml 3.11.0 rebuild for Fedora 11

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:32:36AM -0700, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> Can you test plplot?

Works fine under 3.11.0.

BTW I would strongly recommend that the plplot-ocaml* subpackages
should include the correct OCaml dependencies, as required by the
guidelines and as produced by the custom ocaml-find-requires script.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/OCaml#Requires_and_provides

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)