FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-17-2008, 07:38 AM
"Valent Turkovic"
 
Default Automatic WEP key type/lenght recognition?

NetworkManager currently has these menues for entering WEP:
"WEP 40/128-bit Key"
"WEP 128 bit passphase"
I'm leaving out others that are not commonly used in home environment (802.1x).

I saw lots of users having issues with "WEP 40/128-bit Key" being the
default option and when using ASCII keys.
I would suggest to use one simple but very effective mechanism for
determining if key entered is 40/104-bit, HEX or ASCII.
HEX keys have length of 10 characters for 40-bit, and 26 characters
for 104-bit keys. ASCII keys have length of 5 or 13 characters.

Could this be incoroprated into NetworkManager so that the menu
chooses appropriate type and length of key by the length of characters
that users enters?

Here is RFE: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=471859

Do you see any obvious faults why this would not work or do you think
this would be a good idea?

Cheers,
Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Dan Williams
 
Default Automatic WEP key type/lenght recognition?

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 09:38 +0100, Valent Turkovic wrote:
> NetworkManager currently has these menues for entering WEP:
> "WEP 40/128-bit Key"
> "WEP 128 bit passphase"
> I'm leaving out others that are not commonly used in home environment (802.1x).
>
> I saw lots of users having issues with "WEP 40/128-bit Key" being the
> default option and when using ASCII keys.
> I would suggest to use one simple but very effective mechanism for
> determining if key entered is 40/104-bit, HEX or ASCII.
> HEX keys have length of 10 characters for 40-bit, and 26 characters
> for 104-bit keys. ASCII keys have length of 5 or 13 characters.
>
> Could this be incoroprated into NetworkManager so that the menu
> chooses appropriate type and length of key by the length of characters
> that users enters?
>
> Here is RFE: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=471859

Replied to the bug report...

The short answer is that NM already autodetects what the key type is for
Hex and ASCII keys, but for passphrases, it's simply impossible to
distinguish them from Hex/ASCII keys. WEP simply sucks. WPA fixed this
by mandating that the hex key (64-characters) did not intersect with the
passphrase (8 to 63 characters).

There's probably room to improve the NM applet UI and make it clear what
to enter where.

Dan


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM
David Woodhouse
 
Default Automatic WEP key type/lenght recognition?

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 10:28 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> There's probably room to improve the NM applet UI and make it clear
> what to enter where.

If you haven't done so already, you could at least remove steps #3 and
#4 of the following process, which seems to be the one I follow _every_
time...

#1. Enter WEP key.
#2. Select key type.
#3. Swear profusely.
#4. Enter WEP key again, since it got wiped from where you entered it.

--
David Woodhouse Open Source Technology Centre
David.Woodhouse@intel.com Intel Corporation

--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 
Old 11-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Dan Williams
 
Default Automatic WEP key type/lenght recognition?

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 23:14 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 10:28 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > There's probably room to improve the NM applet UI and make it clear
> > what to enter where.
>
> If you haven't done so already, you could at least remove steps #3 and
> #4 of the following process, which seems to be the one I follow _every_
> time...
>
> #1. Enter WEP key.
> #2. Select key type.
> #3. Swear profusely.
> #4. Enter WEP key again, since it got wiped from where you entered it.

Yeah, a bug.

Dan


--
fedora-devel-list mailing list
fedora-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org