-   -   Rawhide: pulseaudio and emu10k1 problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/193860-rawhide-pulseaudio-emu10k1-problems.html)

Steve Hill 11-15-2008 11:11 AM

Rawhide: pulseaudio and emu10k1 problems

I've just installed Monday's rawhide on a machine with a SB Live
(emu10k1) sound card and have stumbled across several sound problems:

1. Pulseaudio only sees the front 2 speakers of the emu10k1 - the
workaround for this is to add "default-sample-channels = 4" to
/etc/pulse/daemon.conf, but this changes the number of channels seen on
all the other sound cards in the machine too, which may not be what you
want. "aplay -L" does list a 4 channel "surround40:CARD=Live,DEV=0"
subdevice - if we can't reliably auto-select the right subdevice, how
about at least letting the user select it from the GUI?

2. The EMU10K1 mixer routing is rather broken - the "Master" mixer channel
only controls the front speakers, leaving the rear speakers to be
controlled by the "Surround" channel. Thus the "Master" channel should
really be renamed to "Front" and a real "Master" channel that controls
everything should be added. It is a bit of a pain having to adjust 2
channels at the same time in order to change the volume. Similarly, the
PCM channel only controls the front channels - surely this should control
*all* the PCM channels?

3. gnome-sound-properties allows configuration of the "Default Mixer
Tracks", but this does not affect which tracks mixer_applet2 (which is
present in the system tray by default) controls. mixer_applet2 has its
own configuration - some unification is needed here.

4. gnome-sound-properties is accessed under System -> Prefs -> Hardware ->
Sound but it allows configuration of the system sounds. The system sounds
have as little to do with your sound hardware as the desktop background
has to do with your video hardware so it seems rather non-intuitive. The
system sounds configuration should really be separated from the devices
configuration and moved into somewhere like Look & Feel.

- Steve
xmpp:steve@nexusuk.org sip:steve@nexusuk.org http://www.nexusuk.org/

Orcan Ogetbil 11-15-2008 03:11 PM

Rawhide: pulseaudio and emu10k1 problems

> 2. The EMU10K1 mixer routing is rather broken - the
> "Master" mixer channel only controls the front
> speakers, leaving the rear speakers to be controlled by the
> "Surround" channel. Thus the "Master"
> channel should really be renamed to "Front" and a
> real "Master" channel that controls everything
> should be added. It is a bit of a pain having to adjust 2
> channels at the same time in order to change the volume.
> Similarly, the PCM channel only controls the front channels
> - surely this should control *all* the PCM channels?

I have this problem for a couple years now. I have a SB Audigy Pro 4. Mixer channel controls never controlled what they supposed to. I sent multiple emails to alsa-devel list, filed a bug in their tracking system, poked them on IRC...

Nope, they don't care to fix it.

But I didn't give up. I started learning C, so one day I can fix this myself.

-oget

Steve Hill 11-17-2008 09:18 AM

Rawhide: pulseaudio and emu10k1 problems

I have this problem for a couple years now. I have a SB Audigy Pro 4.
Mixer channel controls never controlled what they supposed to. I sent
multiple emails to alsa-devel list, filed a bug in their tracking
system, poked them on IRC...

I have to admit that the mixer isn't a new problem - I've had it ever
since the switch from OSS to ALSA. To be honest, the ALSA EMU10K1 driver
has always been a huge step backwards from the OSS driver, it's a shame
they still haven't caught up.