Old 11-14-2008, 07:43 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

Default Manpages for DBus services? was starting Fedora Server SIG

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:25 AM, David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com> wrote:
> Brainstorming here, but do DBus services come with some form of
> documentation format? If so, it it possible to generate a man page per
> service, and ship it in the rpm, as one step towards making DBus more
> accessible to old-school Unix types?

doesn't dbus support some type of introspection for running
services... so something like pydoc command would works for python
modules for running dbus services?

-jef

Old 11-14-2008, 07:51 PM
"Colin Walters"

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM, David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com> wrote:

> Brainstorming here, but do DBus services come with some form of
> documentation format?

Not intrinsically, we decided it would be a bad idea to put docs in
the introspection XML. However,

> If so, it it possible to generate a man page per
> service, and ship it in the rpm, as one step towards making DBus more
> accessible to old-school Unix types?

Various projects do different things for interface documentation; for
NetworkManager in particular see here:
http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerDBusInterface

The documentation is not yet shipped in the package that I see though
(it probably should be in NetworkManager-devel).

For ConsoleKit there are docs in the shipped introspection XML:
/usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces/org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.xml

Eventually we'll straighten this out and probably have some sort of
standard IDL and associated documentation, and probably have -devel
packages build and ship HTML formatted docs. Up until now mostly
these interfaces have been for freedesktop/GNOME/KDE hackers to use
internally, not really for 3rd party developers.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Dan Williams

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 15:51 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM, David Malcolm <dmalcolm@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Brainstorming here, but do DBus services come with some form of
> > documentation format?
>
> Not intrinsically, we decided it would be a bad idea to put docs in
> the introspection XML. However,
>
> > If so, it it possible to generate a man page per
> > service, and ship it in the rpm, as one step towards making DBus more
> > accessible to old-school Unix types?
>
> Various projects do different things for interface documentation; for
> NetworkManager in particular see here:
> http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerDBusInterface

Actually, the docs are autogenerated from the introspection XML. For
the moment, see:

http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/spec.html

Yes, all the docs need improvement and cleanup.

Dan