Old 11-12-2008, 04:55 PM
R P Herrold

Default LSB; was: starting Fedora Server SIG

Sorry to come late to this discussion and break fedora-devel
ML threading, as I am working from the web archive (I had
tossed the underlying pieces already)

Dan Horák at Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:16:00 +0100:

IMHO LSB Core conformance should be required in minimal
install

Sadly, as a long time participant in the LSB process, I would
offer that there is not a well defined subset such as 'LSB
Core' (and adjuncts or extensions such as: 'LSB Desktop', 'LSB
Mobile Device', 'LSB Headless') are not a way that the LSB
decided to go in 4.0 initial (the next scheduled release, due
out later this year). This is in part from a lack of
developer mass and consensus.

LSB has a weekly conference call open to all contributors to
the LSB; its mailing list is open as are its archives {some
process happens 'out of sight' which is out of scope here}.
Mats Wichmann and I have been at OLS, and the LSB BOFH or
presentation for the last few years has drawn few attendees,
and sadly either just the 'usual suspects' or people looking
for a seat in a reasonably empty and quiet presentation room

archive:
http://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/lsb-discuss
subscription:

Earlier, Peter Robinson at Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:53:21 +0000

For some reason redhat-lsb pulls in qt, qt-X11 and qt3.
redhat-lsb is certainly something you'd probably want in a
server environment but no idea why it would need qt

This being an 'redhat-lsb' lsb in the 3.x series.

LSB 4 is in release testing, and 'slops' all sorts of 'goop'
in to a 'conformant' installation: sound, printing, X, and GUI
widget sets, ... and more, in. The 'use case' was that the
ISV's needed each to be predictably present.

I predict that when LSB 4.0 releases, there will be much
wailing and gnashing of teeth, because no-one from Fedora has
'been at the table' arguing (and getting the consensus and
running code in place for) the 'Server SIG' need case.

A year ago, and periodically, lone voices contributors to the
LSB in the server wilderness, cry out:

Enough to the LSB

but no-one steps up to suggest the subset [and then to do the
repackaging (breaking off the one GUI dep that 'Requires in
much unwanted (in a server environment) GUI 'goop') in support
within the distributions] to elide such cruft not wanted in a
'server' environment.

LSB is willing and interested in having a sensible discussion,
and reaching specification of such a 'subset'; this seems like
a natural for people in a Fedora Server SIG to collaborate and
participate with this 'upstream' at LSB.

In the weekly conference call today, it was clear that such an
effort do advance a rational subset would be entertained (not
in the initial 4.0, probably -- it is past feature freeze
there, but later in that series)

Please join in.

-- Russ herrold

Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 12:55 -0500, R P Herrold wrote:
> I predict that when LSB 4.0 releases, there will be much
> wailing and gnashing of teeth, because no-one from Fedora has
> 'been at the table' arguing (and getting the consensus and
> running code in place for) the 'Server SIG' need case.

Either that, or we'll just choose to ignore LSB, like, say, every Linux
ISV does.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of an LSB is sound, but somewhere between
implementation and adoption, things somehow went wrong, and we ended up
with ManBearPig.

~spot