Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Brian Pepple

Default Plan for tomorrows (20081112) FESCO meeting

Hi,

Please find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the
next FESCo meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday at 17:00
UTC in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:

/topic FESCo-Meeting -- F10 Release/Blockers Status - all

/topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora

You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
this mail and I'll add it to the schedule. You can also propose topics
in the meeting while it is in the "Free discussion around Fedora" phase.

Later,
/B

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bpepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E

Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 PM
John Poelstra

Brian Pepple wrote:

Hi,

Please find below the list of topics that are likely to come up in the
next FESCo meeting that is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday at 17:00
UTC in #fedora-meeting on irc.freenode.org:

/topic FESCo-Meeting -- F10 Release/Blockers Status - all

/topic FESCo meeting -- Free discussion around Fedora

You want something to be discussed? Send a note to the list in reply to
this mail and I'll add it to the schedule. You can also propose topics
in the meeting while it is in the "Free discussion around Fedora" phase.

Later,
/B

I would like to discuss
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F11PolicyReview and propose that
FESCo start review Fedora 11 features next week, time permitting.

John

Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Brian Pepple

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 13:50 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> I would like to discuss
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F11PolicyReview and propose that
> FESCo start review Fedora 11 features next week, time permitting.

Added to the schedule. Also, I don't think it will be a problem
starting the F11 feature reviews next week.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:02 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 06:16:22PM -0500, Brian Pepple wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 13:50 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> > I would like to discuss
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/F11PolicyReview and propose that
> > FESCo start review Fedora 11 features next week, time permitting.
>
> Added to the schedule. Also, I don't think it will be a problem
> starting the F11 feature reviews next week.

One of the proposed features is
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Windows_cross_compiler, but
I'm not going to be around this evening to discuss it. Next week is
probably OK.

Rich.

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Old 11-13-2008, 08:14 PM
John Poelstra

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

FESCo start review Fedora 11 features next week, time permitting.

Added to the schedule. Also, I don't think it will be a problem
starting the F11 feature reviews next week.

One of the proposed features is
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Windows_cross_compiler, but
I'm not going to be around this evening to discuss it. Next week is
probably OK.

Rich.

The page appears to be only partially complete and in Category:
FeaturePageIncomplete

John

Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 01:14:02PM -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Windows_cross_compiler
>
> The page appears to be only partially complete and in Category:
> FeaturePageIncomplete

Yes because, erm, it's not complete.

Partly I have no idea what's supposed to go in the Test Plan section.
An actual test plan covering the features of all the libraries would
be huge and take weeks to run. In addition, we have to disable %check
sections in MinGW packages because wine cannot run inside the mock/
koji environment. Wine needs an X server and a writable $HOME.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top

Old 11-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 01:14:02PM -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
>> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Windows_cross_compiler
>> The page appears to be only partially complete and in Category:
>> FeaturePageIncomplete
>
> Yes because, erm, it's not complete.

I think poelcat means, it's incomplete so won't be discussed yet :-)

> Partly I have no idea what's supposed to go in the Test Plan section.
> An actual test plan covering the features of all the libraries would
> be huge and take weeks to run. In addition, we have to disable %check
> sections in MinGW packages because wine cannot run inside the mock/
> koji environment. Wine needs an X server and a writable $HOME.

The test plan needs to tell people how to tell if the Feature is
complete and whether it's reasonable to tell people it's ready to use
when the next Fedora release comes out. If the feature passes the test
plan then the Feature is announced. If it fails the test plan, then
whatever is in the Contingency Plan would go into effect.

For MinGW, I'd ask, how do you know that the libraries you produce are
working? What basic goals should someone be able to achieve when using
them? What tasks can a tester do to show that someone wanting to
utilize the feature is not going to be frustrated and disappointed?

-Toshio

Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Conrad Meyer

On Friday 14 November 2008 10:44:31 am Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> >>
> >> The page appears to be only partially complete and in Category:
> >> FeaturePageIncomplete
> >
> > Yes because, erm, it's not complete.
>
> I think poelcat means, it's incomplete so won't be discussed yet :-)
>
> > Partly I have no idea what's supposed to go in the Test Plan section.
> > An actual test plan covering the features of all the libraries would
> > be huge and take weeks to run. In addition, we have to disable %check
> > sections in MinGW packages because wine cannot run inside the mock/
> > koji environment. Wine needs an X server and a writable $HOME.
>
> The test plan needs to tell people how to tell if the Feature is
> complete and whether it's reasonable to tell people it's ready to use
> when the next Fedora release comes out. If the feature passes the test
> plan then the Feature is announced. If it fails the test plan, then
> whatever is in the Contingency Plan would go into effect.
>
> For MinGW, I'd ask, how do you know that the libraries you produce are
> working? What basic goals should someone be able to achieve when using
> them? What tasks can a tester do to show that someone wanting to
> utilize the feature is not going to be frustrated and disappointed?
>
> -Toshio

Well, if you set PKG_CONFIG_PATH correctly it's pretty easy to compile an
example a.exe of (just for example, again) a GTK application, that will
(given appropriate dlls) run on Windows (or under Wine).

Conrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org>

Old 11-16-2008, 01:49 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:44:31AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> The test plan needs to tell people how to tell if the Feature is
> complete and whether it's reasonable to tell people it's ready to use
> when the next Fedora release comes out. If the feature passes the test
> plan then the Feature is announced. If it fails the test plan, then
> whatever is in the Contingency Plan would go into effect.
>
> For MinGW, I'd ask, how do you know that the libraries you produce are
> working? What basic goals should someone be able to achieve when using
> them? What tasks can a tester do to show that someone wanting to
> utilize the feature is not going to be frustrated and disappointed?

OK - I'll have to think of something that doesn't involve needing
Windows.