Old 11-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Ville Skyttä

Default Removing "minimal buildroot" dependencies from rpmdevtools

Hi,

I'm planning to drop the "minimal buildroot" dependencies from rpmdevtools,
leaving in only dependencies that are required for the utils in the package
to work.

There are two main reasons for this, in no particular order:

1) Some utilities in the package are useful for people and cases that have
nothing to do with rpm packaging or development, and rpmdevtools has been
made a dependency of various "normal end user" packages because of this.
Pulling in the whole minimal build root is not welcome in these cases.

2) rpmdevtools is not really the most natural place for pulling in a minimal
build root, it's not really a Fedora specific package. Yes, we want people
to use mock, but reality is that many prefer to pull the minimal build root
setup into their normal system layout quickly for one reason or another, so
this possibility should IMO be preserved somewhere else when/if this
dependency set gets removed from rpmdevtools. Maybe the fedora-packager
package or a subpackage of it?

Thoughts?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Till Maas

On Mon November 10 2008, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> else when/if this dependency set gets removed from rpmdevtools. Maybe the
> fedora-packager package or a subpackage of it?
>
> Thoughts?

I like this and I want to suggest to use comps to collect the dependencies
that are considered useful for Fedora maintainers. But I am not sure, whether
this can be done, because I remember some restrictions that a package can
only be in one comps group.

Regards,
Till

Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 23:51 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> so
> this possibility should IMO be preserved somewhere else when/if this
> dependency set gets removed from rpmdevtools. Maybe the fedora-packager
> package or a subpackage of it?

groupinstall buildsys-build It's already tracked in comps.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 23:20 +0100, Till Maas wrote:

> I like this and I want to suggest to use comps to collect the dependencies
> that are considered useful for Fedora maintainers. But I am not sure, whether
> this can be done, because I remember some restrictions that a package can
> only be in one comps group.

There is the fedora-packager group, as well as the buildsys-build group.
One gives you tools and utilities useful to packaging for Fedora, the
other gives you the minimal buildroot contents, what mock has been using
for a few releases now.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Nicolas Mailhot

Le lundi 10 novembre 2008 à 23:20 +0100, Till Maas a écrit :
> But I am not sure, whether
> this can be done, because I remember some restrictions that a package can
> only be in one comps group.

We've tried at some point to have each package in one group only, but
there were so many exceptions I had to remove the check from the xslt a
long time ago.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Ville Skyttä

On Tuesday 11 November 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 23:51 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > so
> > this possibility should IMO be preserved somewhere else when/if this
> > dependency set gets removed from rpmdevtools. Maybe the fedora-packager
> > package or a subpackage of it?
>
> groupinstall buildsys-build It's already tracked in comps.

Ok, that's good. Even better in my opinion would be a solution that works
also with other depsolvers than yum (IIRC smart and apt don't support comps)
but I suppose this will do at least for now; and because nobody yelled in
general about the plan, I'll go ahead with purging the deps from rpmdevtools.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:24 PM
Jesse Keating

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 22:13 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> Ok, that's good. Even better in my opinion would be a solution that works
> also with other depsolvers than yum (IIRC smart and apt don't support comps)
> but I suppose this will do at least for now; and because nobody yelled in
> general about the plan, I'll go ahead with purging the deps from rpmdevtools.

If the other depsolvers don't handle comps, they're rather useless in
the Fedora world, where are grouping is done exclusively via comps.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Ville Skyttä

On Thursday 20 November 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

> If the other depsolvers don't handle comps, they're rather useless in
> the Fedora world,

I don't think support for any kind of special grouping is a prerequisite for a
depsolver to be useful. I don't remember ever missing that feature when I
used apt/smart, and now that I've been using mostly yum for a while, I don't
remember ever invoking any of its group* commands. Plain old metapackages
have worked well for me in the (quite rare) cases where I've needed something
like that. comps/yum grouping have their own valid purposes for different
use cases, but saying a depsolver without support for that is rather useless
is in my opinion more than a little extreme.

> where are grouping is done exclusively via comps.

Not really - we also have metapackages for grouping and new ones do get
introduced every now and then. See for example git-all, perl-core, R.