-   -   Flash 10 in 64-bit F9: does it work? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/190135-flash-10-64-bit-f9-does-work.html)

Chris Adams 11-08-2008 09:33 PM

Once upon a time, Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl> said:
> Did anyone manage to get flash 10 working on 64-bit F9? Note that
> I didn't try on 32-bit yet, so I can't comment on that (yet). But
> on 64-bit, the flash 10 plugin is loaded (using nspluginwrapper etc.)
> and listed in Firefox. But as soon as I visit a flash page, it gives
> error messages about not finding "soundwrapper" in my $PATH and it
> doesn't display anything.

It is working for me on F9/x86_64. I didn't do anything special; I have
the Adobe repo in my yum config and got flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release
with a yum update.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams 11-08-2008 09:52 PM

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 23:16 +0100, Jos Vos wrote:
> Did anyone manage to get flash 10 working on 64-bit F9? Note that
> I didn't try on 32-bit yet, so I can't comment on that (yet).

Works fine here, on both i386 and x86_64 (using nspluginwrapper in both
cases; I'm not THAT crazy :P ).

Orcan Ogetbil 11-08-2008 10:07 PM

--- On Sat, 11/8/08, Chris Adams wrote:

> It is working for me on F9/x86_64. I didn't do
> anything special; I have
> the Adobe repo in my yum config and got
> flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release
> with a yum update.
> --

I also got the same version of flash-plugin from the Adobe repo. It works but there is this infamous "grey rectangle bug" on 64 bit systems that drives me insane. I read very many discussions about this but there is no known solution (to me).

Basically when I go to a website that makes use of flash, sometimes the flash content is replaced with a grey box. Left- or right-clicking on the grey box doesn't do anything. The page needs to be reloaded (some times a large number of times) until it shows properly. Sometimes it turns to grey in the middle of a flash video that I'm watching (this is the most annoying case since some flash players don't have time-seeking feature, I have to watch everything over). The bug happens more often when I have multiple tabs/windows open that display websites with flash content.

The issue is reported on different linux systems (Ubuntu, Fedora...). Some say that it broke during a minor update in the 9.0.x series. I can't verify this because I couldn't find copies of old versions of flash plugins. 10.0.x series didn't fix the problem.

Typically when the grey rectangle bug happens I get messages in the system log, such as

npviewer.bin[18365]: segfault at 13 ip 1493db7 sp ff9b3964 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[def000+951000]
npviewer.bin[13560]: segfault at 13 ip 1493db7 sp ffbb3364 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[def000+951000]
npviewer.bin[810]: segfault at 13 ip 1493db7 sp ffaaea64 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[def000+951000]
npviewer.bin[15403]: segfault at 13 ip 1493db7 sp ffdd0d84 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[def000+951000]
npviewer.bin[4703]: segfault at ff9d1e4c ip ff9d1e4c sp fffd45dc error 14

npviewer.bin segfaults are there in every single case. If someone knows of a solution or workaround, I'm all ears.

-Orcan

Rex Dieter 11-08-2008 10:35 PM

Jos Vos wrote:

> Did anyone manage to get flash 10 working on 64-bit F9?

works here, in firefox + nspluginwrapper.

-- Rex

Michael Cronenworth 11-09-2008 01:22 AM

Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

npviewer.bin segfaults are there in every single case. If someone knows of a solution or workaround, I'm all ears.

-Orcan

There is no solution. The nspluginwrapper[1] program is crashing. It
happens often. It's "normal" in a sense. If you wish to make it more
stable, I'm sure the nspluginwrapper people are accepting patches.

Please know that the binary Adobe Flash plug-in is 32-bit only. There is
no 64-bit plugin. In order to use the Flash plugin in Firefox 64-bit,
the nspluginwrapper plugin is used.

[1] http://gwenole.beauchesne.info//en/projects/nspluginwrapper

"Brennan Ashton" 11-09-2008 01:24 AM

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Orcan Ogetbil <orcanbahri@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Sat, 11/8/08, Chris Adams wrote:
>>
>> It is working for me on F9/x86_64. I didn't do
>> anything special; I have
>> the Adobe repo in my yum config and got
>> flash-plugin-10.0.12.36-release
>> with a yum update.
>> --
>
> I also got the same version of flash-plugin from the Adobe repo. It works but there is this infamous "grey rectangle bug" on 64 bit systems that drives me insane. I read very many discussions about this but there is no known solution (to me).
>
> Basically when I go to a website that makes use of flash, sometimes the flash content is replaced with a grey box. Left- or right-clicking on the grey box doesn't do anything. The page needs to be reloaded (some times a large number of times) until it shows properly. Sometimes it turns to grey in the middle of a flash video that I'm watching (this is the most annoying case since some flash players don't have time-seeking feature, I have to watch everything over). The bug happens more often when I have multiple tabs/windows open that display websites with flash content.
>
> The issue is reported on different linux systems (Ubuntu, Fedora...). Some say that it broke during a minor update in the 9.0.x series. I can't verify this because I couldn't find copies of old versions of flash plugins. 10.0.x series didn't fix the problem.
>
> Typically when the grey rectangle bug happens I get messages in the system log, such as
>
> npviewer.bin[18365]: segfault at 13 ip 1493db7 sp ff9b3964 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[def000+951000]
> npviewer.bin[13560]: segfault at 13 ip 1493db7 sp ffbb3364 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[def000+951000]
> npviewer.bin[810]: segfault at 13 ip 1493db7 sp ffaaea64 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[def000+951000]
> npviewer.bin[15403]: segfault at 13 ip 1493db7 sp ffdd0d84 error 4 in libflashplayer.so[def000+951000]
> npviewer.bin[4703]: segfault at ff9d1e4c ip ff9d1e4c sp fffd45dc error 14
>
> npviewer.bin segfaults are there in every single case. If someone knows of a solution or workaround, I'm all ears.
>
> -Orcan

This all rolls back to this "bug" in pulseaudio
http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/267 note that I put bug in quotes
because pulseaudio says it is a flash issue. You can find a lot more
information about it in these bug reports, some have a lot of good
information. The Ubuntu one has some well though out ideas about how
to resolve this problem. The pulseaudio bug was submitted 8 months
ago, something needs to be done.

http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/267
http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/225
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/192888

Jos Vos 11-09-2008 10:14 AM

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 05:52:13PM -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> Works fine here, on both i386 and x86_64 (using nspluginwrapper in both
> cases; I'm not THAT crazy :P ).

OK, I found the problem: it seems like flash 10 needs libcurl.i386.
I found this hint in some Ubuntu forum, IIRC. Maybe it has to be
documented too on the Fedora Wiki.

With that, it works now, but some sites still have problems, as pointed
out in earlier reactions.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Chris Adams 11-09-2008 06:49 PM

Flash 10 in 64-bit F9: does it work?

Once upon a time, Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl> said:
> OK, I found the problem: it seems like flash 10 needs libcurl.i386.
> I found this hint in some Ubuntu forum, IIRC. Maybe it has to be
> documented too on the Fedora Wiki.

Would it make sense for libflashsupport to "Require: libcurl.so.4" then?
It is a hack, but libflashsupport in general is a hack, so it would seem
to be the best place for this (since the flash-plugin RPM itself is not
requiring the needed dependencies).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Michael Cronenworth 11-09-2008 07:02 PM

Chris Adams wrote:

Would it make sense for libflashsupport to "Require: libcurl.so.4" then?
It is a hack, but libflashsupport in general is a hack, so it would seem
to be the best place for this (since the flash-plugin RPM itself is not
requiring the needed dependencies).

Flash 10 no longer needs libflashsupport. In fact, the Flash 10 RPM
already has a Require: libcurl.so.4. You couldn't install it without
it. Fedora updated the libcurl RPM to have a libcurl.so.4. This was
discussed back in the Fedora 10 beta when it was first changed.

If you somehow didn't have curl already installed... I question how you
installed Flash in the first place. It definitely wasn't by RPM or else
you added a --nodeps to your install arguments.

Jos Vos 11-09-2008 07:08 PM

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 01:49:45PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:

> Would it make sense for libflashsupport to "Require: libcurl.so.4" then?
> It is a hack, but libflashsupport in general is a hack, so it would seem
> to be the best place for this (since the flash-plugin RPM itself is not
> requiring the needed dependencies).

In that case you may want to add libz.so.1 too, as I also needed to
install zlib.i386 IIRC. But in that case you still have to know
that you have to install libflashsupport.i386 ;-).

I am used to built my own flash RPM for internal use, so I already
added this to my spec file.